Minnesota's Maya Moore Named Rookie of the Month
September 1, 2011 - Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) News Release
NEW YORK, Sept. 1, 2011 - For the second consecutive month, the WNBA named Minnesota Lynx forward Maya Moore the Rookie of the Month.
Moore picked up where she left off in July and led all rookies in scoring (12.3 ppg), rebounding (4.6 rpg), steals (1.8 spg) and minutes (27.2 mpg). She also ranked in the top three in assists (2.2 apg) and three-point field goal percentage (.424 on 25-for-59 shooting) among first-year players. Overall, Moore placed in the top 10 in the league for steals. Her month was highlighted with career highs in points (28) and steals (five), while going 6-for-6 from three-point range on Aug. 9 and tying a record for most threes made without a miss in a single game, in an 85-80 loss to the Phoenix Mercury. In 13 games, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2011 WNBA Draft presented by adidas scored in double digits seven times, helping the Lynx to a league best 11-2 record.
The UConn product is currently averaging 12.8 points and 4.6 rebounds, as she continues to help her team, which recently clinched a playoff berth and is the No. 1 overall seed in the Western Conference with a 24-6 record.
Highlights of Moore's month included:
Aug. 2 vs. Phoenix: Scored 22 points on 7-for-11 shooting from the field in a 90-73 win.
Aug. 9 vs. Phoenix: Went 6-for-6 from three-point range and had career bests in points (28) and steals (five) in a 85-50 loss.
Aug. 26 vs. San Antonio: Scored 18 points and grabbed seven rebounds in an 85-75 win.
Aug. 28 vs. San Antonio: Recorded a career-high 12 rebounds and scored 19 points in a 72-61 win.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from September 1, 2011
- Sky Center Sylvia Fowles Named WNBA Eastern Conference Player of the Month - Chicago Sky
- Lindsay Whalen Named Western Conference Player of the Month - Minnesota Lynx
- Chicago's Fowles, Minnesota's Whalen Named Players of the Month - WNBA
- Lynx Sign All-Star Forward Rebekkah Brunson to Multi-Year Contract Extension - Minnesota Lynx
- Maya Moore Named Rookie of the Month for August - Minnesota Lynx
- Minnesota's Maya Moore Named Rookie of the Month - WNBA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.