Mavericks Take No. 1 Spot in CHL
INDEPENDENCE, Missouri - The Missouri Mavericks take the number one spot in the Central Hockey League with a 6-3 victory over the Allen Americans.
The Americans scored not once, but twice in the opening two minutes of play, taking a significant lead over the Mavericks. But not ready to let the game get away from them on a couple of fluke goals, Missouri kept the pressure high and Mike Ramsay cut the Americans' lead in half, assisted by Colt King and Trevor Kell.
Both teams fought through an onslaught of penalties, totaling 17 minutes in the first period alone, with an aggressive showing from both the Mavericks and the Americans.
Andrew Courtney notched the equalizer 3:26 into the second period, aided by Sebastien Thinel and Eric Castonguay on the power play. Allen struck in the final five minutes of the second to take the lead 3-2, but only 8 seconds later Eric Castonguay answered back to tie it up again at 3-3.
Third period underway, Mike Ramsay took control of the game for the Mavericks with a power play goal during the 'Minute of Madness,' 31 seconds into play. Colt King expanded the Mavs' lead with the help or Trevor Kell and Obi Aduba on the power play, and Rob Kleebaum tallied his second empty net goal in two games to bring the final count to 6-3 Mavericks.
With the Mavericks win over the Americans and Rapid City's loss to Denver, Missouri captures the number one spot in the Central Hockey League with 58 points.
The Mavericks play their next game tomorrow night (Sunday, February 9) on the road in Wichita. The Mavs drop the puck with the Thunder at 5:05pm. The Mavericks need to win their next two games against the Wichita Thunder to win the Independence Cup.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 8, 2014
- Mavericks Take No. 1 Spot in CHL - Kansas City Mavericks
- Early Hole Dooms Thunder in 3-1 Loss at Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Levesque Hat Trick Powers Mallards Past Chill in Front of 8,761 - Quad City Mallards
- Chill Battle Early But Fall Late - St. Charles Chill
- Missouri Wins First Place Showdown - Allen Americans
- 8,761 Watch Mallards Down St. Charles - Quad City Mallards
- Game Preview: Rush vs Cutthroats - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Pick up 5-2 Win over Quad City - Allen Americans
- Thunder Streak Stopped in 4-1 Loss to Mavs - Wichita Thunder
- Sundogs Deny Beast in 3-2 Win - Arizona Sundogs
- Rush Fall To Cutthroats Despite Spirited Late - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.