Mavericks Sign Forward Mike Gurtler
INDEPENDENCE, Missouri - Missouri Mavericks' Head Coach Scott Hillman announced Thursday the Central Hockey League (CHL) team has signed forward Mike Gurtler.
Gurtler, 24 (4/2/87), enters his rookie season with the Mavericks after competing for Mercyhurst College the past four years. The 6-foot-2, 200-pound forward had 44 goals and 54 assists in 138 games played with Mercyhurst including three seasons with 20-plus points. A native of Rochester, New York, Gurtler played in seven games with the ECHL's Bakersfield Condors following his collegiate career last year and accounted for one assist and two penalty minutes.
"Mike is a very exciting prospect for us and a valuable pick-up at this time of year," said Hillman. "He spent four years with Brandon Coccimiglio at Mercyhurst College where he was consistently one of the top scorers in the conference. He will work hard for us and is ready to get his season with the Mavericks underway. We believe we have made our team better with this signing."
Gurtler will wear #26 with the Mavericks and is expected to be in the lineup Friday night when the team takes on the Quad City Mallards at Independence Events Center.
The Mavs travel to Quad City on Saturday to wrap up the weekend. Tickets for all regular season games are on sale via Ticketmaster at (800) 745-3000 or www.Ticketmaster.com . Call the Mavericks' office at (816) 252-7825 for more information or visit www.MissouriMavericks.com .
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 15, 2011
- Blaze Look to Keep Home Winning Streak Alive - Bloomington Blaze
- Mavericks Sign Forward Mike Gurtler - Kansas City Mavericks
- Simmons Rejoins Mallards as Executive Vice President - Quad City Mallards
- Hauswirth Called to Texas Stars, Marshall Reassigned to Bees - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Spencer Edwards Returning to School - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Game Day Report: Mavericks Look to Bounce Back at Wichita
- Mavs' Win Streak Snapped at Seven
- Game Day Report: Mavericks, Thunder Continue Three-Game Set Friday
- Mavericks, Thunder Announce Salvation Army Kettle Challenge
- Mavericks Clinch Best Start in Team History with Seventh-Straight Win