Mavericks Sign Defenseman Shawn Fensel
INDEPENDENCE, Missouri - The Missouri Mavericks announced Wednesday the Central Hockey League (CHL) has signed defenseman Shawn Fensel from the 1000 Islands Privateers of the Federal Hockey League. Fensel, a native of Nepean, Ontario, will join the Mavericks this Friday for their game against the Tulsa Oilers.
"Shawn is a key addition right now for us to get us back to six defensemen," said Mavericks' Head Coach Scott Hillman. "He skates well, handles the puck very well and he should contribute to our power play. Shawn brings a youthful enthusiasm to the blue line, we believe he will contribute significantly to our playoff run."
Fensel, 24 (11/13/86), will fill the void left by former Mavs' defenseman Dominic D'Amour, who was traded to the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees last week in exchange for forward Sean Muncy. Fensel is in the midst of a career year, having amassed 32 points on five goals and 27 assists in 30 games for 1000 Islands. The right-handed defenseman's special teams' strength got him noticed by the Mavericks, as 17 of his 27 assists came on the power play.
The 5'9", 200-pound blueliner served as the captain of the Privateers this season and led the team in plus/minus rating as well. Fensel spent four years at St. Lawrence University, scoring 59 points as a defenseman with the team. After graduating in 2009, he was signed by the Cincinnati Cyclones of the East Coast Hockey League, but an injury in training camp prevented him from making the final roster.
This week, it's another home-and-home series for the Mavs, this time against the Tulsa Oilers. Missouri heads to the BOK Center in Tulsa on Friday night. They return home to face the Tulsa Oilers Saturday night, January 29 before hitting the road again for a Sunday tilt with the Quad City Mallards. Tickets are available for all Missouri Mavericks home games at the Independence Events Center Box Office, by calling (800) 745-3000 or visiting www.TicketMaster.com . Visit www.MissouriMavericks.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 26, 2011
- Reeder & Menei Power Rush to 6-2 Victory Over Mallards - Rapid City Rush
- Rapid City Drops Mallards 6-2 - Quad City Mallards
- Bucks' Free Youth Jersey Giveaway Friday - Laredo Bucks
- 'Americans Fight Cancer' Weekend February 11-13 - Allen Americans
- "Kids Eat Free" on Wednesday, Feb. 2, at Dayton Gems game - Dayton Gems
- Bucks Insider Replay Saturday on Fox 39 - Laredo Bucks
- Mavericks Sign Defenseman Shawn Fensel - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rush Kick off Road Trip with 4-3 Shootout Win in Wichita - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.