Mavericks Season Ends in Game Seven Loss to Allen, 7-3
ALLEN, Texas - The Missouri Mavericks were defeated by the Allen Americans, 7-3, Tuesday night in Game Seven of the Central Hockey League (CHL) Semifinals. For the second straight season, the Mavericks' season ended in Game 7 and the team was just one win short of reaching the CHL Finals. Allen jumped out to an early lead in the game and held the lead throughout. Brian McMillin and Todd Robinson each had two goals in the win for the Americans and goaltender Aaron Dell stopped 29 of the Mavericks' 32 shots. The Americans advance to take on the Wichita Thunder in the CHL Finals. The Mavericks will host a season celebration at Independence Events Center on Thursday, April 26 from 5-8 p.m.
Allen jumped out to a 1-0 lead early into the game when McMillin scored his seventh goal of the playoffs on assists from Jason Deitsch and Jamie Schaafsma at the 1:52 mark. Missouri rebounded and controlled the play for the second half of the period but were unable to get a puck past Dell in the opening 20 minutes.
A total of five goals were scored in the second period. Allen made it a 2-0 game on Deitsch's third goal of the playoffs. The Mavericks cut the lead in half at the 5:37 mark of the period on a sharp-angled shot by Kellan Tochkin. He was assisted by Kenton Miller and JP Testwuide, but the Americans regained the two-goal lead on a nice individual effort by Kale Kerbashian. He shook a Mavericks' defender and beat goaltender Mike Clemente with a backhand goal to give the Americans a 3-1 lead. Mavericks' defenseman Dave Pszenyczny scored his first goal of the playoffs on the power play with two minutes to go in the second period and again the Mavericks cut the lead to one goal, but Allen answered less than one minute later. At the 18:40 mark, Robinson scored on the power play and the Americans took the 4-2 lead into the final period.
The Mavericks pressured the Americans for a majority of the final period, but a turnover in the Mavericks' zone which led to Robinson's second goal of the game made it 5-2 Allen. Jim McKenzie made it 6-2 when he tipped a shot by Tyler Ludwig past Clemente. Missouri didn't give in and Colt King scored to make it 6-3 with an extra attacker with over five minutes to go in the game, but the Americans finally sealed the win with 67 seconds to go on an empty net goal by McMillin.
Both teams finished 1-for-4 on the power play. Missouri outshot the Americans 32-31 in the game.
Central Hockey League Semifinals - Series "E" (best-of-7)
Missouri Mavericks (5) vs. Allen Americans (1) - Allen Wins Series 4-3
All times Central
Game 1 - Missouri 5 at Allen 1
Game 2 - Missouri 1 at Allen 4
Game 3 - Allen 3 at Missouri 2 - Overtime
Game 4 - Allen 8 at Missouri 4
Game 5 - Allen 2 at Missouri 3 - Overtime
Game 6 - Missouri 6 at Allen 2
Game 7 -Missouri 3 at Allen 7
Missouri Mavericks 2013-14 season tickets are on sale now. A $50 dollar non-refundable deposit is required for all season tickets. Contact the Mavericks ticket staff Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at (816) 252-7825 for more information or visit www.MissouriMavericks.com .
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from April 23, 2013
- Americans Advance to 2013 Ray Miron Presidents' Cup Finals - Allen Americans
- Mavs to Host Season Celebration on Thursday, April 25 at IEC - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Announce Ray Miron President's Cup Finals Schedule - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Season Ends in Game Seven Loss to Allen, 7-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Allen and Wichita to Meet in CHL Finals - CHL
- Allen Advances to Ray Miron Presidents' Cup Finals - CHL
- Sundogs Reach 201 New Season Tickets in 48 Hours - Arizona Sundogs
- Americans and Mavericks Tonight in Winner Take All Game Seven - Allen Americans
- Thunder Prepares for Ray Miron President's Cup Finals - Wichita Thunder
- Allen and Missouri Meet in 27th Game 7 in CHL History - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Mavericks Announce 2019-20 Regular Season Home Schedule
- Mavericks Trainer Nick Potter Wins ECHL Athletic Trainer of the Year Award
- Kansas City Mavericks Wrap up 10th Season with Return to the Playoffs
- Mavericks Eliminated in Game Seven Loss at Tulsa
- Mavericks Head to Game Seven After 4-2 Loss in Game Six at Tulsa