Mavericks Add Two Players to Inaugural Season Roster
INDEPENDENCE, Missouri - Missouri Mavericks' Head Coach Scott Hillman announced Monday the Central Hockey League (CHL) club has signed forwards Simon Watson and Jason Murfitt for the team's inaugural season.
Watson, 29 (4/3/80), is entering his fourth season in the CHL and spent the last two seasons with the Rocky Mountain Rage. The Waterloo, Ontario native has averaged 50 points in each of his first three seasons scoring 67 goals and 83 assists in 187 games played. The 6-foot-0, 182-pound forward has 20-plus goals in each season and set a career-high in 2008-09 with 30 assists with the Rage.
"Simon has been a very consistent offensive threat scoring nearly 70 goals in three years in this league," said Hillman. "He is a highly skilled and crafty center that will be looked upon to score big goals in big games."
Murfitt, 26 (4/22/83), is entering his sophomore campaign in 2009-10. The 6-foot-0, 200-pound center played for the CHL's Oklahoma City Blazers in 2008-09 and tallied 35 points (13-22=35) in 61 games as a rookie. Prior to turning pro, the Ottawa, Ontario native played four seasons with Manhattanville College (New York). In four seasons with the Valiants, Murfitt tallied 53 goals and 73 assists for 126 points in 106 games.
"Jason is a second-year pro that is coming off a very solid rookie season," said Hillman. "He is a versatile player that will play in several different roles including time on all three lines throughout the year."
The Mavericks now have 14 players signed for the team's upcoming inaugural season.
Players signed for the Mavericks' 2009-10 inaugural season are as follows:
Forwards Defensemen Goaltenders
Jeff Christian Shaun Arvai Mike Gorman
Travis Kauffeldt Tyler Fleck Doug Groenestege
Carlyle Lewis Doug MacIver
Bill Vandermeer Travis Martell
The Mavericks opening weekend at the brand-new Independence Events Center is November 13-14 against the Wichita Thunder. Season tickets are on sale now starting at $352, and group tickets start as low as $10 per person. The Mavericks 32-game home schedule can be found at www.MissouriMavericks.com. For more information, call the Mavericks' front office at (816) 252-PUCK (7825).
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from September 14, 2009
- Sundogs Add Size and Scoring to Blue Line; Shaw and Derton Join Club - Arizona Sundogs
- Mudbugs Single-Game Tickets On Sale Now - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Mavericks Add Two Players to Inaugural Season Roster - Kansas City Mavericks
- Jackalopes Training Camp, Preseason Schedule Released - Odessa Jackalopes
- Eagles Announce $99 Pepsi Family 4-Pack For NHL Game - Colorado Eagles
- Landmesser Sideswiped By Accolade - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks to Hold Bes Press Conference Wednesday - Laredo Bucks
- Eagles Sign D-Men Thoring & Larranaga - Colorado Eagles
- Bucks' Spence Invited To NHL Camp - Laredo Bucks
- Week 16 of Puska on Pucks Has It All Covered - OSC Original by Denis Puska
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.