Matsui, Hughes lead Thunder to 3-1 win
(Trenton, NJ)- The Thunder used a pair of 7th Inning runs, including an RBI single by Yankees OF Hideki Matsui, to beat the Portland Sea Dogs, 3-1, on Wednesday night. The win gives Trenton a 1-0 lead in the "Best of Five" Northern Division Championship Series.
Portland took a 1-0 lead in the 5th Inning against Trenton starter Phil Hughes on a two-out RBI single by LF Chris Durbin. Hughes allowed just that run on five hits in six innings. He was able to retire Portland with runners in scoring position in three of his six innings on the night, picking up strikeouts as the last out of an inning five times. Hughes recorded a Trenton post-season record 13 strikeouts on the night. That total was also a personal career-high for Hughes.
The Thunder came back to tie the game in the bottom of the fifth against Portland starter Devern Hansack. With two outs, CF Brett Gardner picked up an infield hit. After a walk to Gabe Lopez, 1B Randy Ruiz delivered an RBI single to score Gardner with the tying run. Hansack retired the leadoff batter in each inning, except his last. He walked 3B J.T. Stotts to start the 7th Inning. After a fielder's choice, reliever Barry Hertzler came on and walked Lopez. Ruiz followed with another run-scoring single to put Trenton ahead, 2-1.
Matsui then followed with an RBI single for a 3-1 lead. The Yankees outfielder was 1-for-3 with an intentional walk in the game. With the 3-1 lead, Trenton used the strong relief pitching of Charlie Manning to close the door. Manning (1-0) worked three shutout innings with one hit allowed for the win. Hansack (0-1) allowed two runs in 6 1/3 innings for the loss.
Game #2 of the Division Championship Series is Thursday at 7:05 PM. Tyler Clippard (12-10, 3.50) starts for the Thunder against Portland's Tommy Hottovy (2-4, 4.17).
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from September 6, 2006
- Wild ninth inning comeback falls short as Curve drop playoff opener - Altoona Curve
- Matsui, Hughes lead Thunder to 3-1 win - Trenton Thunder
- Aeros Dynamics - Akron RubberDucks
- Curve announce playoff roster - Altoona Curve
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Trenton Thunder Stories
- Mini Plans on Sale Now
- Bernie Williams, Baby Bombers, Bat Boy Tommy and Bat Dog Rookie Highlight 2019 Bobblehead Giveaways
- 2019 Season to Feature 22 Fireworks Shows at ARM & HAMMER Park
- Thunder GM/COO Jeff Hurley Named Eastern League Executive of the Year
- River Fest to Feature Fall Draft Selections and Special Food Items