Martinez Named to Panama National Team
Las Vegas (NV) -- The Panamanian Soccer Federation announced the 24-man roster for their National Team's two upcoming games in November. That list includes midfielder Cristian Martinez, who closed out the 2019 season with Lights FC.
"He's clearly a very talented player who was not getting enough playing time with the Chicago Fire and we were able to provide him the minutes to keep him in top form,'' said Lights FC manager Eric Wynalda. "Cristian clearly showed that he has a lot of talent and quality. He contributed for us by scoring very important goals, we're extremely proud of him and wish him well with his National Team where he should always be, because he's that good."
Panama will face Mexico in Group B action of the Concacaf Nations League on Friday, November 15 at Rommel FernÃ¡ndez Stadium in Panama City, Panama. They will then host Conmebol member Bolivia on Tuesday, November 19 in an international friendly at the same stadium, in what will mark the end of the 2019 FIFA International Calendar.
Lights FC's midfield received a boost late in the 2019 USL Championship season with the arrival of Cristian Martinez, who was loaned out by Major League Soccer's Chicago Fire to Las Vegas on August 23rd.
'C-Mart' capitalized on his stay with Lights FC by recording two goals and an assist. He had five starts in nine appearances, racking up a total of 488 minutes, second-most with a team for Martinez in a season since making his debut in the United States back in 2016.
He made his debut with the Panama National Team in February 2016 against El Salvador in a friendly match, Martinez was named as part of Panama's preliminary 35-man roster squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.
Images from this story
Las Vegas Lights FC midfielder Cristian Martinez
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 30, 2019
- Martinez Named to Panama National Team - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Ropapa Mensah Set to Bring Second Annual Oguaa Cup to Ghana in Offseason - Nashville SC
- Fury FC to Part Ways with Head Coach Nikola Popovic - Ottawa Fury FC
- New Mexico United Announces Initial Roster Moves Ahead of 2020 Season - New Mexico United
- Battery Enter Exciting New Era Under HCFC, Announce Relocation - Charleston Battery
- Lebo Moloto to Host Chebeng Community Cup in South Africa for the Second Straight Year - Nashville SC
- Portland Timbers, Hillsboro Hops Announce New T2 Partnership - Portland Timbers 2
- San Antonio FC Mutually Agrees to Part Ways with Head Coach Darren Powell - San Antonio FC
- Hartford Athletic Welcomes Back Four Players for 2020 Season - Hartford Athletic
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Conference Semifinals - USL
- LouCity's Playoff Success Unmatched in USL Championship - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Las Vegas Lights FC Stories
- Lights FC Closes 2020 Season
- Late Equalizers Lifts Lights FC to Draw with LA Galaxy II
- Lights FC Heads to Southern California for Two-Match Road Trip
- 11-Year Major League Soccer Veteran MLS Cup Champion Quincy Amarikwa Signs with Lights FC
- Lights FC Crushes Orange County's Undefeated Record with 3-1 Win