New Mexico United Announces Initial Roster Moves Ahead of 2020 Season
ALBUQUERQUE, NM New Mexico United announced today its initial roster moves ahead of the 2020 season, under the guidance of Head Coach Troy Lesesne. Thirteen players have had their options exercised, including New Mexico natives Devon Sandoval, Joshua Suggs, and Justin Schmidt. Joining the New Mexican players are Cody Mizell, Benjamin Beaury, Rashid Tetteh, Austin Yearwood, Juan Pablo Guzman, Sam Hamilton, Saalih Muhammed, Ryan Williams, Christopher Wehan and David Estrada.
"I'm very pleased we will retain a strong core of our players from the first season, as it will allow tremendous continuity for us to build on for next season," said Head Coach and Technical Director Troy Lesesne.
"We will never have another first year and first team for New Mexico United. This group will always have a special place in our clubs history and I am so proud of each and every one of these players," said New Mexico United Owner and CEO Peter Trevisani.
In addition to the thirteen returning players, five players who were on a 1-year contract are in talks with the team to discuss their return. Those players include Santi Moar, Manny Padilla, Daniel Bruce, Kevaughn Frater, and New Mexican and former Lobo Joshua Goss.
"We've had discussions with each of these players and will continue to explore the possibilities of them returning to the club," said Lesesne.
Four players, including Ethen Sampson, Toni Soler, Kenny Akamatsu, and Tommy Madden will not be returning for the 2020 Season.
"We wish Ethen, Toni, Tommy, and Kenny, all the best in the future and thank each of them for all their service with the club both on and off the field," said Lesesne.
"While it is always tough to say goodbye, I am very excited that we have such a strong group of players returning and am excited for the 2020 season," said Trevisani.
"There will never be another first season for New Mexico United and I'm incredibly proud of the foundation we've set for this club in year one. The amount we've done both on and off the field the last 12 months has brought so much positivity, happiness, and love to our state," said Lesesne. "We carried a tremendous responsibility to make sure our club reflected our community because this is the community's club. We know that the responsibility only increases, as we're determined to make 2020 an even greater season. Somos Unidos!"
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 30, 2019
- Martinez Named to Panama National Team - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Ropapa Mensah Set to Bring Second Annual Oguaa Cup to Ghana in Offseason - Nashville SC
- Fury FC to Part Ways with Head Coach Nikola Popovic - Ottawa Fury FC
- New Mexico United Announces Initial Roster Moves Ahead of 2020 Season - New Mexico United
- Battery Enter Exciting New Era Under HCFC, Announce Relocation - Charleston Battery
- Lebo Moloto to Host Chebeng Community Cup in South Africa for the Second Straight Year - Nashville SC
- Portland Timbers, Hillsboro Hops Announce New T2 Partnership - Portland Timbers 2
- San Antonio FC Mutually Agrees to Part Ways with Head Coach Darren Powell - San Antonio FC
- Hartford Athletic Welcomes Back Four Players for 2020 Season - Hartford Athletic
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Conference Semifinals - USL
- LouCity's Playoff Success Unmatched in USL Championship - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Mexico United Stories
- United Soccer League Launches Impact Committee, Somos Unidos Foundation Executive Director Named Committee Lead
- New Mexico United & the Somos Unidos Foundation Announce First Academy Signing, Albuquerque Native Josh Baros
- New Mexico United Forward David Estrada Continues Service to Community, Joins Somos Unidos Foundation
- New Mexico United Closes Front Office/Team Store for Remainder of Day Following Positive COVID-19 Test
- New Mexico United Announces the Signing of Albuquerque Native Alex Touche