Marrero's Massive Night Lifts Ducks to Series Victory
(Central Islip, N.Y.) - The Long Island Ducks defeated the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs 8-3 on Thursday night in the rubber game of a three-game series at Fairfield Properties Ballpark.
Long Island struck first in the opening inning when Dustin Woodcock doubled and later scored on a wild pitch by Blue Crabs starter Daryl Thompson. Two more runs in the third on a bases loaded walk by Deven Marrero and an RBI fielder's choice off Woodcock's bat made it a 3-0 ballgame. The Ducks then put up a three-spot in third, doubling their lead to six. Vladimir Frias' RBI single to right and Marrero's two-run single to center did the damage.
Southern Maryland got on the scoreboard in the fifth courtesy of Austin Rei's two-run single to center off Ducks starter Scott Harkin, closing the gap to 6-2. Alex Crosby's sac fly to right in the sixth made it a 6-3 game, but the Flock got the run back in the sixth on De Aza's RBI single to right. Marrero added a solo homer to left leading off the eighth to round out the scoring for the night.
Harkin (2-3) earned the win, tossing five innings of two-run (one earned) ball, allowing four hits and no walks while striking out two. Thompson (3-2) took the loss, surrendering six runs on nine hits and four walks over five innings with five strikeouts.
Marrero led the Flock offensively with three hits, a walk, and four RBIs. De Aza, Frias and Joe DeCarlo each added two hits, with De Aza and DeCarlo also drawing a walk.
The Ducks continue their homestand on Friday night when they open a four-game series against the Gastonia Honey Hunters. Game time is slated for 6:35 p.m., with the Fairfield Properties Ballpark gates opening at 5:35 (5:20 for full season ticket holders). The first 2,000 fans exiting the ballpark following Friday's game will receive a Chocolate Bar Giveaway, courtesy of Evolved Chocolate. It's also an Angela's Pizza Friday! A player on the Honey Hunters will be designated as the K-Man, and if he strikes out during the game, all fans can show their game ticket to receive half-priced appetizers on all to-go orders throughout the rest of the weekend at Angela's Pizzeria of Islip. Right-hander Anderson DeLeon (2-1, 3.72) gets the start for the Ducks against Honey Hunters lefty Michael Gunn (2-0, 1.59).
Tickets for the game, and all Ducks games, are available by visiting the Fairfield Properties Ballpark box office, calling (631) 940-TIXX. Those unable to make the game can follow all the action on the Long Island Ducks Broadcast Network. Live streaming HD video and audio will be available via BoxCast on LIDucks.com as well as on the Ducks official Facebook page and YouTube channel.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from May 26, 2022
- Clutch Hits Carry FerryHawks Past Revolution - Staten Island FerryHawks
- Marrero's Massive Night Lifts Ducks to Series Victory - Long Island Ducks
- Ducks Win Rubber Match 8-3, Crabs Drop First Series of Season - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Rockers at Charleston Postponed - High Point Rockers
- Gann Pitches Lancaster to Matinee Win - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Blue Crabs' Offense Dominates Early in 11-7 Victory - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Long Island Ducks Stories
- Fireworks-Filled Finale Sees Flock Waddle off Past Revolution
- Ducks Take See-Saw Affair from Revs to Even Series
- Revolution Power Past Ducks in Series Opener
- Patriotic Jersey Auction this Weekend
- Ducks Defeat Ferryhawks in Come-From-Behind Fashion to Take Series