Mainers Walk-Off on Winnipesaukee in Extras 4-3
SANFORD - For the best defensive team in the NECBL, it was ironic that the Winnipesaukee Muskrats (15-20) would lose the game on a throwing error, their third error of the evening, propelling the Sanford Mainers (22-14) to a late-night win.
In the 10th innings, Sanford put the lead-off man aboard when Sam Stauble (Southern Maine) doubled down the left field line, setting the stage for pinch runner Johnny Slater (Michigan). Zach Jancarski (Maryland) laid down a sacrifice bunt, which Muskrats pitcher Trevor Maley ( Joliet JC ) threw away, allowing Slater to come around from third to score the deciding run.
The Mainers rode a superior bullpen performance late into the extra-inning affair. Thomas Fortier (St. Joseph's), Blaise Whitman (Rhode Island) and Dalton Curtis (Lipscomb) all combined for four-and-a-third innings of no-hit, no-walk baseball, producing four strike outs in the process. Curtis earned a win for his work in the top of the 10th, improving to 3-0 on the season.
While Winnipesaukee scored early in the 1st and 3rd innings, Sanford got a generally good start out of Nick Kuzia (Massachusetts Lowell), going five-and-two-thirds on five hits, three runs, two earned, a walk and two strike outs. Although Kuzia earned a no-decision, the starter turned in one of his better performances of the season.
The Mainers scored early to combat Winnipesaukee, with a majority of the offense taking place prior to the 5th inning. Down 1-0 in the 1st, Sanford's Shaine Hughes (Monmouth) reached on a hit-by-pitch, only for Todd Czinege (Villanova) to belt a two-run home run to right to give Sanford an early 2-1 lead.
In all, the Mainers earned their four runs on four hits and three Muskrats errors, as the Moose got scrappy in a game with minimal base runners .
Sanford will enjoy an off-day July 24, but return to action July 25 when they face the Valley Blue Sox at Goodall Park. The Mainers are undefeated this season against the Blue Sox, with first pitch set for 6:30 PM and radio coverage beginning at 6:15 on the NECBL Broadcast Network.
• Discuss this story on the New England Collegiate Baseball League message board...
New England Collegiate Baseball League Stories from July 23, 2016
- Mainers Walk-Off on Winnipesaukee in Extras 4-3 - Sanford Mainers
- Mountaineers Romp Waves 10-1 - Vermont Mountaineers
- SwampBats End Losing Streak - Keene Swamp Bats
- Ball Does Not Bounce SteepleCats Way in Loss - North Adams SteepleCats
- New Bedford 10, Mystic 9 - Mystic Schooners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sanford Mainers Stories
- Three Former Moose Sign UFA Contracts with MLB Teams
- Curley Named Recipient of David M. Ahern Memorial Scholarship
- Mainers Close out SteepleCats to Finish Season Strongly
- Moose Nearly Miss out on Win in Montpelier
- Mainers Drop Extra-Inning Heartbreaker to Blue Sox