Mad Ants and Erie Conduct Trade
Fort Wayne, IN, (January 3, 2012) - The Fort Wayne Mad Ants announced today that the team has finalized its trade with the Erie Bayhawks. The Mad Ants sent Marvin Phillips to the Bayhawks for Erie's fourth round pick in the 2012 NBA D-League draft. With the roster spot vacated by this transaction, the Mad Ants have reacquired Sadiel Rojas who was released due to injury on December 27.
Phillips is a 6'7" 235 lb forward from Claflin University who spent last season and the first 12 games of this season with the Mad Ants. In 50 games with the team last season, Phillips averaged nearly a double-double with 12 points and 9.3 rebounds a game. In addition to those strong contributions, Phillips shot over 50 percent from the field and nearly 80 percent from the free throw line. In the first 12 games of the 2011-2012 season, Phillips played 30 minutes a game and averaged 11 points per contest.
"I want to thank Marvin Phillips for all that he's done for the Mad Ants both on and off the court," said Mad Ants President Jeff Potter. "It's never easy trading a man of Marvin's talent and character, but we think this is best for the team at this point. We wish Marvin and his wonderful family all of the best in the future."
Sadiel Rojas, a 6'4" 190 lb guard from Oklahoma Weslyan and 2011 NAIA Player of the Year returns to the Ants after a promising early season start with the team. In ten games this season, Rojas brought instant energy off the bench and contributed four points and four rebounds a game.
The Mad Ants play at Reno tonight and tomorrow night, and both games can be watched live online via the NBA Futurecast which can be found at www.FortWayneHoops.com. The Ants next home game will be January 7 at the Memorial Coliseum against the Canton Charge. Tickets are on sale now and can be purchased through the Coliseum Ticket Office and Ticketmaster. For premium seating and group discounted tickets contact the Mad Ants office at 260-469-4667.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 3, 2012
- San Antonio Spurs Recall Gary Neal from NBA D-League Affiliate Austin Toros - G League
- Hamilton, Stone Assigned to Stampede - Idaho Stampede
- Armor Acquire Damian Johnson - Springfield Armor
- Skyforce-Charge Complete Trade - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Denver Nuggets Assign Hamilton and Stone to NBA D-League Affiliate Idaho Energy - G League
- Reno's Blake Ahearn and Andre Emmett Named Co-Performers of the Week - G League
- Wizards Partner with Touchstone Energy Co-ops - Dakota Wizards
- Mad Ants and Erie Conduct Trade - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- NBA D-League Update - G League
- San Antonio Spurs Assign Cory Joseph to NBA D-League Affiliate Austin Toros - G League
- Erie Acquires Phillips, Jr. from Fort Wayne - Erie BayHawks
- Houston Rockets Assign Marcus Morris to Rio Grande Valley - G League
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne Mad Ants Stories
- Mad Ants Acquire Walt Lemon Jr. from Windy City
- "Madame Ants" Change Name to "Mad Dancerz"
- Mad Ants Finalize 2019-20 Basketball Operations and Front Office Personnel
- Mad Ants Host Open Tryouts in Fort Wayne Tomorrow
- Mad Ants Host Open Tryouts in Fort Wayne on Saturday