Mack Guzda Wins Ivan Tennant Memorial Award for Top Academic High School Student
Owen Sound, ON - The Ontario Hockey League announced today that netminder Mack Guzda is the 2018-19 recipient of the Ivan Tennant Memorial Award as the Top Academic High School Player.
The award is the second in a row for the 18-year-old goaltender from Nashville, Tennessee. Guzda maintained a 99% average in his studies through online programs with the K12 International Academy.
"I am honoured to receive the Ivan Tennant Award from the OHL for the second year." said Guzda. "I am grateful to the Owen Sound Attack organization, ownership and coaching staff as well as educational advisor Sarah Rowe, and to my family and billets. I am particularly appreciative of the OHL for allowing me to pursue my academic goals along with my athletic goals."
While not focused on school, Guzda played in 49 games this past season, recording a 20-19-1 record and a 3.63 GAA on the ice for the Owen Sound Attack.
Attack Educational Advisor Sarah Rowe says Mack is one of a kind: "It is a rare pleasure to work with someone as motivated, committed and personable as Mack. He is the epitome of the student athlete and by his achievements demonstrates how an individual can excel at both athletics and academics. He is a role model for our younger players both on and off the ice. As an organization we are incredibly proud of his success."
General Manager Dale DeGray is proud of his achievements: "Mack is an incredibly bright young man who is an outstanding goaltender as well." He adds: "The organization is committed to success on the ice and in the classroom, and Mack exemplifies what we are looking for in a student-athlete."
The Attack Season Ticket Early Bird Deadline is May 31st. Renew your season tickets now for the best price for the 2019-2020 season! Contact the MacVicar & McComb Remax Attack Box Office at 519-371-7452 to renew or join the season ticket waiting list.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from May 7, 2019
- 67's' Sasha Chmelevski named CHL Player of the Week - OHL
- Attack's Guzda and Storm's Terry Named OHL's Top Academic High School Students - Guelph Storm
- Steelheads' Thomas Harley Named OHL Scholastic Player of the Year - Mississauga Steelheads
- Chmelevski Named OHL Academic Player of the Year - Ottawa 67's
- OHL Announces Academic Player of the Year Award Winners for 2018-19 - OHL
- Mack Guzda Wins Ivan Tennant Memorial Award for Top Academic High School Student - Owen Sound Attack
- Sting Prospect Nolan Dann and GTHL Blue Capture 2019 OHL Gold Cup Crown - Sarnia Sting
- OHL Gold Cup Recap; Four Hounds Among 100+ Participants - Soo Greyhounds
- Spirit Release Roster, Details Surrounding 2019 Development Camp - Saginaw Spirit
- Schedule Announced for Petes 2019 Development Camp - Peterborough Petes
- Brett Harrison Commits to the Generals - Oshawa Generals
- Wolves Host Orientation Camp this Weekend - Sudbury Wolves
- Storm Solves 67's in Commanding 7-2 Win - Guelph Storm
- Kings of the Blue Line: Phillips and Durzi on the Same Path - Guelph Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Owen Sound Attack Stories
- Attack Come up Just Short in 5-4 Loss to Spirit
- Matt Philip the Huron Tractor 'Milestone' Attacker of the Week
- Attack Can't Solve Dugas, Fall 3-1 to Frontenacs
- Late Comeback Earns Point in 4-3 OT Loss to Storm
- Late Comeback Not Enough for Attack in 8-5 Loss to Colts