OHL Gold Cup Recap; Four Hounds Among 100+ Participants
This past weekend 128 players selected in last month's OHL Priority Selection took part in the 2019 OHL Gold Cup.
The event took place at the Activa Sportsplex in Kitchener, ON.
The Soo Greyhounds had four players participate on four different teams:
JACOB HOLMES - RD (1st Round) - OMHA Black
MARC BOUDREAU - LW (3rd Round) - GTHL Red
LUC BRZUSTOWSKI - LD (6th Round) - Alliance
HUNTER BROWN - RD (10th Round) - HEO
Boudreau finished the tournament tied for 5th in overall scoring for forwards.
The Toronto, ON product finished the tournament with 3 goals and 2 assists (5 points) in 4 games played including the game winning goal in an 8-5 win over Team OMHA Black.
He and his team GTHL Red teammates fell 4-5 in the tournament finale.
Brzustowski notched a pair of assists in 4 games played as he and his Alliance teammates picked up victory in the Bronze Medal contest.
Holmes (assist) and Brown (goal) each had a point each in 4 games played.
Brown and Team HEO topped the Consolation Gold game.
ABOUT THE OHL GOLD CUP
The OHL Gold Cup is an annual showcase event featuring top under-16 talent in Ontario.
As part of the Hockey Canada Program of Excellence, select players from the OHL Gold Cup will be invited to attend the National Under-17 Selection Camp, where they will have a chance to compete with other top talent from across Canada, to earn a spot at the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge.
OHL Gold Cup players will receive development opportunities and training directly from Hockey Canada instructors. Throughout the week players will participate in three off-ice education sessions, dedicated position-specific practices, and a full-team game-day skate.
In addition to development opportunities, players will compete in three pool games and one crossover game on the final day, with the OHL Gold Cup champion being named from the winner of the A1 versus B1 crossover game.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from May 7, 2019
- 67's' Sasha Chmelevski named CHL Player of the Week - OHL
- Attack's Guzda and Storm's Terry Named OHL's Top Academic High School Students - Guelph Storm
- Steelheads' Thomas Harley Named OHL Scholastic Player of the Year - Mississauga Steelheads
- Chmelevski Named OHL Academic Player of the Year - Ottawa 67's
- OHL Announces Academic Player of the Year Award Winners for 2018-19 - OHL
- Mack Guzda Wins Ivan Tennant Memorial Award for Top Academic High School Student - Owen Sound Attack
- Sting Prospect Nolan Dann and GTHL Blue Capture 2019 OHL Gold Cup Crown - Sarnia Sting
- OHL Gold Cup Recap; Four Hounds Among 100+ Participants - Soo Greyhounds
- Spirit Release Roster, Details Surrounding 2019 Development Camp - Saginaw Spirit
- Schedule Announced for Petes 2019 Development Camp - Peterborough Petes
- Brett Harrison Commits to the Generals - Oshawa Generals
- Wolves Host Orientation Camp this Weekend - Sudbury Wolves
- Storm Solves 67's in Commanding 7-2 Win - Guelph Storm
- Kings of the Blue Line: Phillips and Durzi on the Same Path - Guelph Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.