Lumberjacks Shut out Youngstown En Route to 4-0 Win
MUSKEGON, MI- Muskegon Lumberjacks goaltender Christian Stoever stopped all 24 shots he faced, leading the Jacks to a 4-0 win over the Youngstown Phantoms at Mercy Health Arena.
On the offensive end, the Jacks got two goals from defenseman Tyler Dunbar, and the Jacks' defense has now accounted for five of their nine preseason goals.
In the first, Youngstown made a strong bid to open the scoring, but Stoever made a series of remarkable saves, including two on breakaway chances.
After struggling in the middle of the second period, Muskegon took control, scoring three second-period goals. Dunbar got the scoring started with 16:40 to play in the second, jumping off the bench and onto the scoresheet on a feed from Owen Mehlenbacher. With 10:23 to play in the second, Christophe Fillion found Cristophe Tellier open at the front of the net. Tellier deked to the backhand and beat goaltender Geno Pichora to push the lead to 2-0.
Just 22 seconds later, Dunbar scored his second of the night, gunning a wrist shot past Pichora off a feed from Tanner Kelly, making the score 3-0.
Cameron Berg wrapped up the scoring early in the third, banging home a rebound off a David Pennington shot.
Muskegon held Youngstown to just six shots in the third, and earned their first preseason win in shutout fashion. The two teams rematch tomorrow afternoon at 4:05pm. The game will be carried on the Lumberjacks Broadcast Network.
Muskegon goals: Dunbar (1,2), Tellier (1), Berg (1)
Muskegon assists: Mehlenbacher (1), Philip Tresca (1), Fillion (2), Dylan Wendt (1), Kelly (1), Gabe Temple (1), Pennington (2), Jack Williams (3)
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from October 23, 2020
- Hockey Returns to Titletown - Green Bay Gamblers
- Storm Shutout Rival Stars to Improve to 3-0 in Corn Cup - Tri-City Storm
- Lumberjacks Shut out Youngstown En Route to 4-0 Win - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Dubuque Handles Des Moines 4-1 in First Preseason Action - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Thanksgiving Ticket Sales Dates Announced - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Saints Announce New Home for Radio Broadcasts for 2020-21 Season - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Preview: Storm Travel to Lincoln for Game #3 of Corn Cup - Tri-City Storm
- Campbell Steps Down After 16 Seasons - Sioux City Musketeers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.