Lucha Libre highlights Budweiser Hispanic Heritage Night
CARSON, CA (Monday, August 28, 2006) - The Los Angeles Galaxy are proud to present the sixth annual Budweiser Hispanic Heritage Night featuring Lucha Libre, a genre of professional wrestling developed in Mexico, on Saturday, September 2, at The Home Depot Center. The battle between good and evil arrives this Saturday at 6:00 p.m. with three Lucha Libre matches before the Galaxy's game against the Kansas City Wizards at 7:30 p.m.
"I am a huge fan of Lucha Libre, but I am partial to Doctor Maldad," said President and General Manager Alexi Lalas. "I look forward to an action-packed night in the ring and on the field."
Lucha Libre presented by INFINITY and Golden Insurance Services will feature Luchadores (wrestlers) La Super Parka and Mascara Sagrada teaming up against the evil duo of Enigma de Oro and Kayam (Los Chivos) accompanied by Doctor Maldad, in a match without precedent. Enigma de Oro and Kayam are descended from a historical "rudo" (evil) Lucha Libre family headed by infamous wrestler Don Jesús "El Chivo" García. Los Chivos are looking to continue their "rudo" domination over the guardians of good - "los tecnicos", La Super Parka and Mascara Sagrada.
Leading up to the main event, spectators will be able to enjoy two additional exciting Lucha Libre matches: Infernal vs. R2K / Sombra Infernal and Genio vs. Mister X / Silver Tiger.
Lucha Libre, which means "free-style fighting", is a type of Mexican professional wrestling dating back to the early 1930s. Mexican wrestling is marked by rapid sequences of holds and spectacular high-flying moves. Similar to American wrestling, matches are won by pinning the opponent to the mat for a three count, making him submit, knocking him out of the ring or by disqualification.
The famous Lucha Libre masks are colorfully designed to evoke the images of animals, gods, and ancient heroes, whose identity the Luchador (wrestler) takes on during a match.
Hispanic Heritage Night festivities will begin at 6:00 p.m. with Mariachi Latino de Jose Cervantes serenading fans on their arrival to The Home Depot Center.
For more information or to order tickets, please call the Galaxy toll-free at
1-877-3GALAXY or visit www.lagalaxy.com
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 28, 2006
- L.A. Galaxy weekly update - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Crew Returns Home To Face New England With Just Seven Games Remaining On The Year - Columbus Crew SC
- Lucha Libre highlights Budweiser Hispanic Heritage Night - Los Angeles Galaxy
- D.C. United appearances August 28-September 3 - D.C. United
- Domenic Mediate undergoes surgery on broken leg - D.C. United
- New York's Buddle Wins Player of the Week - New York Red Bulls
- Houston Dynamo Weekly - Houston Dynamo
- Ramon Ramírez placed on season-ending injury list - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Dynamo Owner Philip Anschutz selected to National Soccer Hall of Fame - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles Galaxy Stories
- Jonathan dos Santos Named to Mexican National Team Roster for Upcoming U.S. Tour Matches in Santa Clara and Arlington
- LA Galaxy Sign Midfielder Efrain Alvarez
- Know Before You Go: LA Galaxy vs. Portland Timbers - Sunday, March 4
- LA Galaxy Sign Goalkeeper Justin Vom Steeg
- LA Galaxy Announce 2018 Theme Nights and Promotional Schedule