Lucas Ciona Has First Career Goal as T-Birds Sink Raiders 3-1
KENT - Lucas Ciona scored his first career WHL goal Tuesday night at accesso ShoWare Center to help lead the Seattle Thunderbirds to a 3-1 victory over the Prince Albert Raiders.
The T-Birds are on the road for their next five games. They start in Red Deer on Friday at 6pm against the Rebels. Their next home game is Friday, November 8, against the Kamloops Blazers at 7:35pm at accesso ShoWare Center. Single game tickets are on sale online on the T-Birds website and at the accesso ShoWare Center box office.
Seattle goalie Roddy Ross had 24 saves. During a two-minute sequence in the middle of the first period Ross had five very good saves.
Simon Kubicek scored a five-on-three power-play goal at 8:41 of the first period to give the T-Birds a 1-0 lead. Andrej Kukuca had the puck at the right point and skated into the right circle and passed to Matthew Wedman on the goal line to the right of the net. Wedman sent the puck to Kubicek in the high slot and he beat Prince Albert goalie Boston Bilous with a slap shot into the top left corner of the net.
Ciona scored his first career goal as a T-Bird to give the T-Birds a 2-0 lead at 3:48 of the second period. Ryan Gottfried passed the puck up the right wing to Kai Uchacz who entered the offensive zone with speed. Uchacz stickhandled through a Raider defenseman and then spun and backhanded the puck to Ciona coming down the slot. Ciona reached and chipped the puck at Bilous with the goalie making the initial save but Ciona banged in the rebound at the left post.
Prince Albert's Brayden Watts scored a power play goal at 13:17 of the third period to cut the T-Birds lead to 3-1.
Wedman was behind the Prince Albert net with 1:41 left in the game when he was checked from behind, giving the T-Birds a power play. The Raiders pulled Bilous for an extra attacker to try and tie the game. Brendan Williamson intercepted a Raiders pass in the neutral zone and chipped the puck down the right wing where Kukuca skated to it. Kukuca used his body to hold off a defenseman as he skated the puck into the empty net for his fourth goal of the season.
The T-Birds are now taking orders for Flex-24 Ticket packages. Fans that purchase the 24-Flex Ticket Package will be able to select any available premium seat for any game, in any ticket combination, during the 2019-20 season.
First period - 1, Seattle, Kubicek 2 (Wedman, Kukuca), 8:31. Penalties - Williams, Sea (interference), 1:30. Guhle, PA (interference), 7:40. Nachbaur, PA (roughing), 8:04. Rybinski, Sea (interference), 12:48. Brooks, PA (delay of game), 16:29.
Second period - 2, Seattle, Ciona 1 (Uchacz, Gottfried), 3:48. Penalties - Masella, PA (high sticking), :14. Hayes, PA (delay of game), 1:40. Uchacz, Sea (roughing), 8:27. Clark, PA (roughing), 8:27.
Third period - 3, Prince Albert, Watts 5 (Wiesblatt, Guhle), 13:47 (pp). 4, Seattle, Kukuca 4 (Williamson), 19:51 (pp/en). Penalties - Guhle, PA (delay of game), :28. Bauer, Sea (roughing), 12:56. Hayes, PA (checking from behind, roughing), 18:19. Rybinski, Sea (roughing), 18:19.
Shots on goal - Seattle 10-16-8 34, Prince Albert 9-8-8 25. Goalies - Seattle, Ross 25 shots-24 saves (3-3-2-1); Prince Albert, Bilous 33-31 (6-1-3-0). Power plays - Seattle 2-7; Prince Albert 1-3. Referees - Jeff Ingram, Trevor Nolan. Linesmen - Mark Heier, Eric McLaughlan.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from October 23, 2019
- Oil Kings Jump to Third in Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings - WHL
- Ams Halloween Night October 26th - Tri-City Americans
- Game Day Hub: October 23 - Portland Winterhawks
- Canada Russia Group Ticket Packages on Sale Now - Saskatoon Blades
- Hitmen Defenceman Zamula Named to Team Russia for 2019 CIBC Canada Russia Series - WHL
- Hitmen Defenceman Egor Zamula to Play in 2019 CIBC Canada Russia Series - Calgary Hitmen
- Blades' Dach Scores First NHL Goal in Second Career Game - Saskatoon Blades
- Oil Kings Teaming up with Operation Friendship Seniors Society to Support #Socktober - Edmonton Oil Kings
- 'RE/MAX Presents: WHL Suits up with Don Cherry to Promote Organ Donation' Set to Celebrate Hockey Night in Canada - WHL
- Tigers Prospects Participate in WHL Cup - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Former Warrior Has New Role at 2019 WHL Cup - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Wheat Kings Dominate in Biennial Visit to Toyota Center - Tri-City Americans
- Offence Explodes as Broncos Rout Cougars - Swift Current Broncos
- Lucas Ciona Has First Career Goal as T-Birds Sink Raiders 3-1 - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Swift Current Scores 7 to Down Cougars - Prince George Cougars
- Rebels' Penalty Kill Struggles in One-Goal Loss to Hurricanes - Red Deer Rebels
- Raiders Fall to Thunderbirds in Seattle - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Thunderbirds Stories
- Two T-Birds Selected in 2020 NHL Draft
- T-Birds and KIRO 7 TV Partner for Weekly Hockey 101 Series Starting Friday
- T-Birds Sign Sawyer Mynio
- T-Birds Select Samuel Knazko in First Round of CHL Import Draft
- Jordan Gustafson and Kevin Korchinski Named to Team Canada U-17 Development Camp