Louisville City Will Compete in 2020 Wasatch Winter Cup
Louisville City FC announced its participation as one of four teams in the second annual Wasatch Winter Cup Wednesday. The Cup, hosted at Zions Bank Real Academy in Herriman, Utah, will consist of the final two teams in the USL Championship Playoffs: Louisville City and Real Monarchs, as well as the Colorado Springs Switchbacks and Union Omaha.
"The training center for Real Salt Lake and the Monarchs is fantastic, but the most important aspect of our Utah trip will be playing USL opponents in meaningful matches," Louisville City coach John Hackworth said. "It's still preseason, but anytime you can play in a competition with a trophy & title on the line, it adds another level of importance to the competition"
The Monarchs will welcome clubs to Herriman for matches beginning Sunday, February 16, with the tournament running through Saturday, February 22. All matchdays will be double-headers and are scheduled to be played inside Zions Bank Stadium, pending inclement weather. If inclement weather occurs, matches will be played inside the Zions Bank Training Center which boasts over 200,000 sq. feet of playing surface across two fields. Matches will be played on February 16, 19 and 22.
Louisville City will face the Switchbacks on Feb. 16 at 7 p.m. MT, Union Omaha on Feb. 19 at 1 p.m. MT. The match with the Monarchs, a rematch of the 2019 USL Championship Title game, will be played at 9 a.m. MT on Feb. 22.
"We are excited to be hosting the Wasatch Winter Cup again here in Herriman with three very well prepared and well-coached teams," said Real Monarchs Assistant General Manager Tim Weaver. "Louisville City, Colorado Springs and Omaha will all provide excellent competition for the Monarchs and one another, as we prepare to defend the USL league championship. We are privileged to have such world-class facilities and are honored that these clubs have agreed to come here to prepare for their respective seasons. We look forward to welcoming each team and hosting them in what is sure to be an entertaining and world-class preseason tournament."
Hackworth said his assistant coach, Danny Cruz, helped secure LouCity a spot in this year's Wasatch Cup.
"Danny brought this opportunity to our attention during the 2018 season," Hackworth said. "At that time, we were unable to incorporate it into our 2019 preseason. However, after reflecting on our 2019 preseason preparation, Danny and I both felt that playing USL opponents during preseason would help us in the future."
Louisville City has preseason matches prior to leaving for Utah. The full preseason schedule will be released next week.
Louisville City begins its USL Championship schedule on March 7 at North Carolina FC. The Boys in Purple will open Lynn Family Stadium on Saturday, April 11 vs. Birmingham Legion in a nationally televised match.
February 16 - Real Monarchs v. Union Omaha - 5:00p MT
Switchbacks FC v. Louisville City FC - 7:00p MT
February 19 - Real Monarchs v. Switchbacks FC - 10:00a MT
Union Omaha v. Louisville City FC - 1:00a MT
February 22 - Real Monarchs v. Louisville City FC - 9:00a MT
Union Omaha v. Switchbacks FC - 11:30a MT
February 29 - Real Monarchs at Sacramento Republic FC - TBD
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from January 15, 2020
- 5 Reasons Why You Should be An OCSC Season Ticket Holder - Orange County SC
- T2 Announce Four Player Signings Ahead of 2020 USL Championship Season - Portland Timbers 2
- El Paso Locomotive FC Brings Back Two More Players from the Inaugural Season, Memo Diaz and Moses Makinde - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Rowdies Partner with Chargers SC for USL League Two Team - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Tah Brian Anunga Set to Join Nashville SC - Charleston Battery
- San Antonio FC Adds Midfielder Santiago Viera on Loan from Liverpool Montevideo - San Antonio FC
- Republic FC Signs Academy Standouts Mario Penagos and Hayden Sargis to First Professional Contracts - Sacramento Republic FC
- Louisville City Will Compete in 2020 Wasatch Winter Cup - Louisville City FC
- Switchbacks FC Announce Preseason Schedule - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Tampa Bay Rowdies Add U23 Team in USL League Two - USL
- Hounds Sign Defender/Midfielder Tony Walls - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Austin Bold FC Announces Returning Players for 2020 Season - Austin Bold FC
- T2 Goalkeeper Coach Adin Brown Joins Chicago Fire FC Coaching Staff - Portland Timbers 2
- Rowdies Announce Six-Game Preseason Slate - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Forward Mac Steeves Re-Signs with Hartford Athletic - Hartford Athletic
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville City FC Stories
- LouCity, Midfielder Matsoso Agree to New Multiyear Deal
- LouCity Academy Appoints Junior Director to Lead New Age Groups
- Lefebvre Adds to LouCity's Goalkeeper Corps as Latest Signing
- 'We Achieved Quite a Bit'; a Letter from Club President Brad Estes
- LouCity Signs Former FC Cincinnati Forward McLaughlin