San Antonio FC Adds Midfielder Santiago Viera on Loan from Liverpool Montevideo
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC has added midfielder Sanitago Viera on loan from Liverpool Montevideo in the Uruguayan first division for the 2020 USL Championship season pending league and federation approval, the team announced today. Per club policy, terms of the loan were not disclosed.
"We are pleased to acquire Santiago Viera on loan from Uruguayan first division club Liverpool Montevideo," said SAFC Head Coach Alen Marcina. "Santiago brings both international experience, having represented his country at the U-20 level, and meaningful playing experience in the top league of Uruguay. As a tenacious ball-winner and relentless worker, Santiago fits our style of play. We are excited to have him apart of the SAFC family."
Viera joins after spending the 2019 season on loan to Club Atheltico Cerro in the Uruguayan first division where he made 29 appearances, compiling 2,229 minutes and scoring two goals. The 21-year-old has spent the rest of his professional career with Liverpool Montevideo, appearing in over 30 matches with the club since 2015. To date, Viera has amassed over 4,200 professional minutes in the Liga Profesional de Primera Division.
"I'm proud to sign with San Antonio FC," said Viera. "It means a lot to me that a club like this can count on me to be part of the team. I have no doubt that this will be a great season for all of us and I hope to help the team accomplish all of our collective objectives."
The midfielder has also made six appearances for the Uruguay U-20 national team and has represented both Liverpool and Cerro in the CONMEBOL Sudamericana tournament over the course of his career.
San Antonio FC is currently preparing for the upcoming USL Championship season, and fans can purchase 2020 season tickets by calling or texting the SAFC sales office at 210-444-5657 or by visiting SanAntonioFC.com. Supporters can also follow the club by liking San Antonio FC on Facebook (@SAFCUSL), as well as following the team on Twitter (@SanAntonioFC) and Instagram (@sanantoniofc).
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from January 15, 2020
- 5 Reasons Why You Should be An OCSC Season Ticket Holder - Orange County SC
- T2 Announce Four Player Signings Ahead of 2020 USL Championship Season - Portland Timbers 2
- El Paso Locomotive FC Brings Back Two More Players from the Inaugural Season, Memo Diaz and Moses Makinde - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Rowdies Partner with Chargers SC for USL League Two Team - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Tah Brian Anunga Set to Join Nashville SC - Charleston Battery
- San Antonio FC Adds Midfielder Santiago Viera on Loan from Liverpool Montevideo - San Antonio FC
- Republic FC Signs Academy Standouts Mario Penagos and Hayden Sargis to First Professional Contracts - Sacramento Republic FC
- Louisville City Will Compete in 2020 Wasatch Winter Cup - Louisville City FC
- Switchbacks FC Announce Preseason Schedule - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Tampa Bay Rowdies Add U23 Team in USL League Two - USL
- Hounds Sign Defender/Midfielder Tony Walls - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Austin Bold FC Announces Returning Players for 2020 Season - Austin Bold FC
- T2 Goalkeeper Coach Adin Brown Joins Chicago Fire FC Coaching Staff - Portland Timbers 2
- Rowdies Announce Six-Game Preseason Slate - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Forward Mac Steeves Re-Signs with Hartford Athletic - Hartford Athletic
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC Signs Forward Jose Gallegos to Multi-Year Professional Contract
- San Antonio FC Signs Defender Mitchell Taintor
- San Antonio FC Puts in Strong Performace in 2-3 Loss to FC Dallas
- San Antonio FC Adds Goalkeeper Dayne St. Clair on Loan from Minnesota United
- San Antonio FC Adds Defender Callum Montgomery on Loan from FC Dallas