Loons Advance to MWL Eastern Division Finals
MIDLAND, Mich. - After spoiling their first chance to advance in the Midwest League Playoffs, the Great Lakes Loons were not about to let another opportunity be missed as they played one of their best games of the season in a 5-0 victory over the Lake County Captains in Game 3 of the first round on Friday night.
Waiting for the Loons in the Eastern Division Finals is the South Bend Cubs with the series beginning on the road Saturday night. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. and can be heard ESPN 100.9-FM. It's the fourth time Great Lakes has made it out of the division semifinals and the first time since 2016.
Two major storylines emerged throughout the nerve-filled evening: Jose Chacin's masterful start and Brandon Lewis' bat.
Entering the postseason, Chacin (W, 1-0) had allowed 14 runs in his last 16.2 innings pitched. His seven shutout frames allowing just three hits and two walks will be remembered for a long time. Aaron Ochsenbein did his part in relief tossing two perfect innings not allowing a baserunner to slam the door.
After Lewis hit .167 with one home run in 12 regular season games with the Loons, the 2019 Los Angeles Dodgers fourth round pick wasn't the likeliest of heroes entering the game. But he stepped up in a big way smashing two home runs, one in the 2nd inning and another in the 7th, both two-run shots to give the Loons all the run support they would need.
Romer Cuadrado had the only other two-hit night from either team driving in the other run for the Loons. Leonel Valera and Sam McWilliams each had doubles for Great Lakes.
NEXT UP: SOUTH BEND CUBS
The MWL Eastern Division Championship Series begins in South Bend on Saturday night. Game 2 will be played at Dow Diamond on Sunday night. Gates will open at 5 p.m. with first pitch scheduled for 6:05 p.m. Tickets are on sale now. It will be a Kids Eat Free Sunday presented by Soaring Eagle Waterpark & Hotel. They can also stay late and run the bases after the game, courtesy of Farm Bureau Insurance.
The Great Lakes Loons have been the Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers since the team's inception in 2007. Dow Diamond serves as the team's home and also houses the Michigan Baseball Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit public charity, and ESPN 100.9-FM. For tickets or information about the Loons, call 989-837-BALL or visit Loons.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from September 6, 2019
- Loons Advance to MWL Eastern Division Finals - Great Lakes Loons
- Kernels Advance with Game 3 Win at Quad Cities - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dayton Dragons 2019 Season in Review - Dayton Dragons
- Mitch Hooten Selected as MWL Sports Turf Manager of the Year - MWL
- Cubs Sweep Hot Rods out of Playoffs and Advance with 7-4 Win - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Great Lakes Loons Stories
- Go Green! Go Blue! Watch Party Coming to Dow Diamond October 31
- Dow vs Midland Football Watch Party Tickets on Sale Friday
- Loons to Host High School Football Watch Parties at Dow Diamond
- MiLB Announces 2020 Season Canceled
- Loons Join MiLB's CommUNITY First Campaign