Lodeiro and Svensson Called into International Duty
SEATTLE, WASH. - Sounders FC today announced that two additional players have been called into national team duty for the upcoming international break. Nicolás Lodeiro (Uruguay) and Gustav Svensson (Sweden) are set to represent their respective nations during the upcoming FIFA window, joining the three other Sounders FC players that were announced yesterday.
Lodeiro reports to Uruguay for the China Cup, a tournament which La Celeste won last year (Mike Fiechtner / Seattle Sounders FC).
Lodeiro joins Uruguay for third annual China Cup, a four-team tournament taking place in Nanning, Guangxi, also featuring China, Uzbeckistan and Thailand. La Celeste first faces Uzbeckistan on Thursday, March 21 before playing in either the final or the third-place match on Monday, March 25. Uruguay captured the tournament title in 2018 in its first appearance, defeating Wales 1-0 in the final. Lodeiro has 58 caps and four goals in his international career.
Svensson joins Sweden for a pair of European Championship qualifying matches against Romania and Norway (Mike Fiechtner / Seattle Sounders FC).
Svensson receives his fourth international callup since last summer's FIFA World Cup, where he made three appearances as Sweden advanced to the Quarterfinal Round. Svensson, who has 18 career caps, joins Blågult for European Championship qualifying matches vs. Romania on Saturday, March 23 in Solna and at Norway on Tuesday, March 26 in Oslo.
Following back-to-back home wins to open the 2019 campaign, Sounders FC hits the road for the first time this season to face the Chicago Fire on Saturday, March 16 at SeatGeek Stadium (10:00 a.m. PT / JOEtv, YouTube TV, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 13, 2019
- Atlanta United Wins 1-0 in Leg Two of SCCL Quarterfinals, Falls 3-1 on Aggregate to C.F. Monterrey - Atlanta United FC
- Lodeiro and Svensson Called into International Duty - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sounders FC Announces 2019 Matchday Themes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Ticket Sales Pass 30,000 for FC Cincinnati's MLS Home Debut on Sunday - FC Cincinnati
- Three Atlanta United Players Called-Up for International Duty - Atlanta United FC
- Mexican National Team to Face Ecuador at Arlington's AT&T Stadium on June 9th in First of Four Annual Games - FC Dallas
- Preview: Sporting Set for Champions League Quarterfinal Clash - Sporting Kansas City
- Orlando City SC Strengthens Portfolio with New, Returning Club Partners - Orlando City SC
- MNUFC and Element Electronics Kick off Landmark Partnership - Minnesota United FC
- Houston Dynamo Fall 1-0 (3-0 Aggregate) to Tigres UANL in SCCL Quarterfinal Series - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Drops First Match of 2019 Season in 4-1 Loss to Los Angeles FC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Los Angeles FC - April 21, 2019
- Sounders FC to Open Full Stadium Capacity for Four Matches in 2019 MLS Regular Season
- Sounders FC Comes from Behind to Secure 3-2 Victory over Toronto FC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Toronto FC - April 13, 2019