Local Technology Entrepenour Purchases Carolina RailHawks
CARY, NC (October 30, 2015) - The Carolina RailHawks, a founding member of the North American Soccer League (NASL), have been purchased by local technology entrepreneur Stephen N. Malik, the club announced today.
Malik purchased the club from Traffic Sports USA and will assume 100% ownership, effective immediately. He will represent the RailHawks on the NASL Board of Governors.
In 2000, Malik founded Medfusion, a Cary-based purveyor of online patient portals and other related services for healthcare providers. In 2010, Malik sold Medfusion to Intuit for $91 million. After serving as President of the rebranded Intuit Health for three years, Malik re-acquired Medfusion, where he currently serves as Chairman. Malik is very involved with support for entrepreneurship in the local area including investment, advisory and board participation with various start-ups, venture funds, and academic innovation efforts. Malik grew up in Kinston, NC and is a UNC-Chapel Hill alumnus with a BS in Business Administration.
"The RailHawks are a superb organization representing one of the fastest growing regions with tremendous potential for soccer leadership in the nation," said new RailHawks owner Steve Malik. "Our goal is to take the RailHawks to the highest level through additional investment in marketing, players, and staffing. We are excited to lead our community in working together to give the Triangle a world-class soccer team."
The RailHawks have enjoyed tremendous growth and success on and off the field over the last five years, having won the 2011 and 2013 regular season championship, posted a record-setting 23-game home unbeaten streak, played in two Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup quarterfinals, and defeated the five-time MLS Champion LA Galaxy in the Cup three years in a row.
"We're all extremely excited to welcome Steve into the NASL family," said NASL Commissioner Bill Peterson. "He's a great person, and his passion for both the RailHawks and the Triangle area will lift the club into the upper echelon of pro soccer in this country very quickly."
Malik's arrival at the RailHawks marks a new era for the club as it prepares to celebrate its 10th anniversary in 2016. Not only does Malik have deep ties to the Triangle area business community, but he also is a passionate soccer fan having played in high school and coached at the youth level.
RailHawks President Curt Johnson will continue to lead the organization in the newly designated role of President and General Manager; Head Coach Colin Clarke will return for his fifth season; and Senior Vice President Peter Sciandra will continue as a senior executive in the organization in the newly designated role of Executive Vice President.
"We are thrilled to welcome Steve as the new RailHawks owner," said RailHawks President Curt Johnson. "Steve's passion for soccer, positive connection to the community and desire for the RailHawks to be a division one organization is very apparent. He is going to be a driving force in growing the game at all levels in North Carolina. On day one, Steve made it clear that the resources will be there to elevate the organization on and off the field. Steve is exactly who we have been searching for."
Malik will be present at Fan Appreciation Night at WakeMed Soccer Park on Friday, October 30 at 7:30 p.m. ET, when the RailHawks take on Indy Eleven in the last game of their regular season. Fans can purchase tickets to the match by calling 919-459-8144 or by clicking here.
The RailHawks will offer many different prizes and promotions to celebrate the greatest fans in the NASL, including team poster and bobble bottle giveaways, an orange-out merchandise offer, and an extended autograph session with your favorite RailHawks players. The night will conclude with an amazing postgame fireworks show and a private introduction of Steve Malik to season ticketholders and supporters group members in the east suites.
• Discuss this story on the North American Soccer League message board...
North American Soccer League Stories from October 30, 2015
- RailHawks Finish Season with a Bang, Beat Indy Eleven 3-1 in Season Finale - North Carolina FC
- Indy Eleven Downed 3-1 by Carolina RailHawks in 2015 Finale - Indy Eleven
- Match Notes: San Antonio Scorpions at Minnesota United: October 31, 2015 - San Antonio Scorpions
- Regular Season Comes to Thrilling Conclusion with Seeds up for Grabs - NASL
- Ottawa Looks to Clinch Top Seed in Postseason with Result in Regular Season Finale against Atlanta - Ottawa Fury FC
- Local Technology Entrepreneur Steve Malik Purchases Carolina RailHawks - NASL
- Tiyi Shipalane Re-Signs with the RailHawks - North Carolina FC
- Local Technology Entrepenour Purchases Carolina RailHawks - North Carolina FC
- Preview: Silverbacks to Close Regular Season vs. Ottawa - Atlanta Silverbacks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent North Carolina FC Stories
- North Carolina FC to Take on New England Revolution II on the Road
- Loanee Damian Las Returns to Fulham FC
- Robby Kristo Named Player of the Week for Second Consecutive Week in USL League One
- Kristo Nets Second Consecutive Brace to Lift NCFC to First Road Win
- North Carolina FC Travel to Face Fort Lauderdale CF this Sunday