Late Penalty Shot Sends IceRays Past Bees 3-2
Steve Later's penalty shot goal broke a tie game late in regulation and proved to be the difference as the Corpus Christi IceRays beat the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees 3-2 on Tuesday night at the Dodge Arena. The win capped a great road trip for Corpus Christi who went 3-1 away from the Sparkling City. The IceRays improved their record to 5-5-2 on the year, and handed the Killer Bees just their second regulation loss in the last nine games. The IceRays will return to the American Bank Center on Friday, November 20th to host the Allen Americans on Men's Night, presented by Classic Rock 104.5FM.
The IceRays got the only goal of the first period late in the frame to take a lead into the locker room. Chad Costello found a wide-open Chad Woollard in the slot in a rush into the offensive zone, and Woollard waited while Wylie Rogers went down early, then snapped a shot past him at 18:30 to make it 1-0 IceRays. Corpus Christi outshot Rio Grande Valley 9-7 in the first.
The Killer Bees used two quick strikes to take their first lead in the second period. Jesse Bennefield scored on a wrist shot from the left edge of the slot at 4:45 to make it 1-1. Then at 6:40 Aaron Lee scored his first of the year to give the Bees a 2-1 lead. The IceRays answered when captain Justin Quenneville capped off a three-on-two rush with a nice move past Wylie Rogers to tie the score at 15:39. The IceRays outshot the Bees 11-10 in the period.
After a scoreless opening 18 minutes of the third period, Rio Grande Valley's Sean Muncy covered a loose puck in the Bees crease, resulting in an IceRays penalty shot. IceRays General Manager, filling in for Head Coach Brent Hughes who was suspended, called Later's number and the defenseman delivered with a quick move to the backhand past Rogers for the tie-breaking goal at 18:46.
Kevin Nastiuk (1-0) earned the win in his IceRays debut stopping 27 of 29 shots against. Wylie Rogers (3-2)took the loss stopping 25 of 28 shots. The IceRays power play went 0-4 and the Bees went 0-3. The Bees outshot the Rays 29-28 in the game.
The IceRays will return to the American Bank Center on Friday, November 20th to host the Allen Americans on Men's Night, presented by Classic Rock 104.5FM. It's another Frosty Friday where fans can get half-priced 24 oz. domestic beers and half-priced sodas at the game. $7 tickets are also available on game day in the Flint Hills Chill Zone. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from November 17, 2009
- Jacks Top Amarillo In Shootout, 6-5 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Rush Top Eagles 3-2 In First Meeting In Rapid City - Rapid City Rush
- Late Penalty Shot Sends IceRays Past Bees 3-2 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Third Period Rally Too Little, Too Late For Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Thriller Goes To Odessa - Amarillo Gorillas
- Deleurme, Detulleo Multi-Points In Close Loss - Wichita Thunder
- Kevin Desfosses Voted Week's Top Performance By CHL - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Oilers Game Preview - Tulsa Oilers
- Game Notes - Odessa Jackalopes
- IceRays Kevin Desfosses Voted Week's Top Performance - CHL
- Bucks Community Update - Laredo Bucks
- Killer Bees Game Notes - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale