Late Inning Runs Propel Cats to Win
TROY - The Tri-City ValleyCats got some late inning heroics to propel them to a 4-3 win over the Aberdeen IronBirds. Reggie Johnson (5-0) got the win in relief of starter Alex House, while Jimmy Murphy (1-2) took the loss in relief of starter Cameron Bishop.
Right off the bat, the Aberdeen IronBirds got a home run from Mason McCoy on the first at bat of the game to take a 1-0 lead. The 'Cats quickly responded by loading the bases in the second inning, and getting the tying run on an ground out double play by Bryan De La Cruz.
In the eighth inning after a Tristan Graham walk, Markel Jones dropped a bunt down the first base line for a single, but Graham was able to score thanks to a throwing error by Colton Shaver. Mason McCoy ultimately brought home another runner on a sacrifice bunt to make it 3-1.
The 'Cats would not quit, with Bryan De La Cruz recording a double in the eighth inning, before being driven in on a throwing error by shortstop Mason McCoy to make it 3-2. A wild pitch by reliever James Teague allowed the game tying run to score from third, and then Corey Julks hit a grounder that was misplayed by Trevor Craport that scored a run to make it 4-3.
The 'Cats received tremendous pitching from not only starter Alex House, but also reliever Hunter Martin. As a whole, the staff combined to strike out 14 batters while House and Martin combined to allow one earned run over six innings, while striking out eight. Reggie Johnson was able to go an inning and a third of relief with three strikeouts to secure the win.
The 'Cats will now head out for a six-game road trip, that begins with a three-game series against the Lowell Spinners, followed by a three-game series against the Williamsport Crosscutters. The 2017 New York-Penn League All-Star Game will take place at the Joe on Tuesday August 15th! Tickets are available tcvalleycats.com/allstargame. You can visit the box office or call 518-629-CATS.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 8, 2017
- Spikes Hang on to Top Scrappers, and Take Road Series - State College Spikes
- Hudson Valley defeats Lake Monsters in extras - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Late Inning Runs Propel Cats to Win - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Black Bears Take 2 of 3 in Series with Muckdogs - West Virginia Black Bears
- CT Tigers Rained out Monday - Connecticut Tigers
- Renegades Devoured by Monsters - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Mendoza Homers, But Spikes Take Defeat at Scrappers - State College Spikes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tri-City ValleyCats Stories
- ValleyCats, American Cancer Society to Host 7th Annual High School Baseball Fundraiser
- Jimi Hendrix Bobblehead on Summer of Love Night Caps ValleyCats 2019 Promotional Calendar
- Renovations to Four Youth Ball Fields Set for April 11 as Part of Annual '4 in 24'
- ValleyCats Reveal First Round of Exciting 2019 Promotions
- National Anthem Auditions Set for April 6 at Crossgates