Late-Inning Heroics Lead Mallards to Win
Madison, Wis. - The Madison Mallards (9-8, 37-16) won 2-1 in exciting fashion against the Fond du Lac Dock Spiders (11-6, 32-20) in front of 6,631 fans at Warner Park on Saturday night. Mallards starter Justin Watland (San Jose State)and Dock Spider hurler Jon Mierzwa dueled during the early innings before turning the game over to the bullpens that kept the game tied at one going into the eighth inning. David Vinsky (Northwood) delivered a game-winning RBI single in the bottom of the eighth before Carson Ragsdale (South Florida) slammed the door shut to seal the Mallards seventh-straight win.
In the top of the seventh with the game tied at one, reliever Andrew Baker (Florida)allowed a pair of baserunners to start the frame, placing runners on the corners with nobody out. However, Baker worked out of the jam, forcing a lineout, a strikeout and a fielder's choice to end the inning.
In the bottom of the eighth, Trevor Schwecke (UW-Milwaukee)led off with a double into the leftfield corner then took third on a wild pitch that escaped just far enough from Fond du Lac catcher. Schwecke was later put out when trying to score on a Tyler Plantier (Richmond)groundball. However, the Mallards had runners on first and second with one down and David Vinsky at the dish. Vinsky delivered with a sinking line drive that landed just in front of the diving Dock Spiders centerfielder, scoring Jake Randa and giving the Mallards a 2-1 lead.
After striking out a pair to start the frame, Carson Ragsdale allowed a two-out single to move to second on a wild pitch and then issued a walk. However, the lengthy righty stuck out pinch hitter Mitch Boe to end the game and seal the one-run victory.
- Second baseman Trevor Schwecke went 2-for-4 with a double in the Mallards win, bumping his average up to .305 this summer.
- First baseman David Vinsky delivered the game-winning hit and finished 1-for-4 at the dish.
- Starting pitcher Justin Watland tossed 5.0 innings and allowed one run on four hits while striking out five. Watland turned the ball over to Andrew Bakerwho pitched a pair of innings to keep the score tied at one until the eighth.
- Carson Ragsdale pitched the game's final two innings, earning his first win of the season and striking out four to battle through multiple high-leverage situations.
The Mallards head to Fond du Lac to finish their two-game set with the Dock Spiders tomorrow night. Then, eight Mallards are in action for the 2018 Northwoods League All-Star Game in Kalamazoo on July 24th. The Mallards will return to the Duck Pond after the All-Star break on July 26 to take on the Rockford Rivets at 7:05 PM. Gates will open at 5:30 PM and the game will feature Animart Bark in the Park with Madison Veterinary Specialists Dog Toy giveaway. For tickets and more information visit mallardsbaseball.com. Make sure to catch every Mallards game on The Zone, 1670 AM and 96.7 FM.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 21, 2018
- Rafters to Play Two with Bombers Sunday - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Honkers Win Third Straight - Rochester Honkers
- Frogs and Woodchucks Suspended; Doubleheader Tomorrow - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Woodchucks Game in Green Bay Rescheduled - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Dock Spiders Edged out 2-1 at Madison - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Late-Inning Heroics Lead Mallards to Win - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Drop 10-3 Decision to Thunder Bay - Waterloo Bucks
- Rivets Use Big Inning to Pick Up 5-1 Win - Rockford Rivets
- Red-Hot Mallards Face Dock Spiders - Madison Mallards
- Rafters Visit Bombers for First Time - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Stingers Take 3 of 4 from Loggers - Willmar Stingers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.