Red-Hot Mallards Face Dock Spiders
Madison, Wis. - The Madison Mallards (8-8, 36-16) take on the Fond du Lac Dock Spiders (11-5, 32-19) as they go for their seventh straight win tonight at Warner Park. First pitch is set for 6:05 PM and gates will open at 4:30 while tonight's game will feature Zimbrick Honda post-game fireworks.
The Mallards have tapped back into their first-half groove, winning six straight games coming into tonight. The Mallards pitching staff has allowed just five earned runs over the last five games and has struck out 40 while allowing only 22 hits. Meanwhile, the Mallards offense owns a .307 batting average over Madison's last ten ballgames.
The Mallards have only played two games this summer against the Dock Spiders, posting a 1-1 record. The Mallards held Fond du Lac to just three earned runs between those ballgames and totaled 18 strikeouts while allowing only 11 hits.
The Mallards plan to send San Jose State righty Justin Watland to the mound to take on the Dock Spiders. Watland has made seven starts this summer and currently holds a 2-1 record and a 4.11 ERA. Watland has 31 strikeouts this summer and has held opponents to a .244 average. Watland will be making his first start against the Dock Spiders tonight.
Meanwhile, Fond du Lac is set to start Jon Mierzwa. Mierzwa holds a 5.74 through seven starts this summer and owns a 0-4 record. Mierzwa has not faced the Mallards this summer and has lost his last three outings.
Players to Watch
Outfielder Jake Randa (NW Florida State) has found a groove at the plate lately, going 11-for-30 over his last nine games. Randa crushed a solo shot last night and has knocked in five runs over his last five ballgames.
Shortstop Garrett Kueber (Austin Peay) has been effective in the Mallards leadoff spot lately, posting a .394 average over his last ten games. Kueber has also drawn four walks over the last three games.
For tickets and more information visit mallardsbaseball.com. Make sure to catch every Mallards game game on The Zone, 1670 AM and 96.7 FM.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 21, 2018
- Rafters to Play Two with Bombers Sunday - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Honkers Win Third Straight - Rochester Honkers
- Frogs and Woodchucks Suspended; Doubleheader Tomorrow - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Woodchucks Game in Green Bay Rescheduled - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Dock Spiders Edged out 2-1 at Madison - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Late-Inning Heroics Lead Mallards to Win - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Drop 10-3 Decision to Thunder Bay - Waterloo Bucks
- Rivets Use Big Inning to Pick Up 5-1 Win - Rockford Rivets
- Red-Hot Mallards Face Dock Spiders - Madison Mallards
- Rafters Visit Bombers for First Time - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Stingers Take 3 of 4 from Loggers - Willmar Stingers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.