Last Week around the Leagues
by Fran Stuchbury
March 26, 2019 - ECHL (ECHL)
In news last week, the Alliance of American Football moved its championship game on April 27th from Las Vegas to Ford Center at The Star in Frisco, Texas, the XFL Los Angeles team named Heather Brooks Karatz President, and the NBA G League regular season came to an end. Highlights from this week are from Alliance of American Football, Indoor Football League, NBA G League, Major League Soccer, United Soccer League Championship, National Lacrosse League and Major League Rugby.
Alliance of American Football
The Alliance of American Football announced that the 2019 Alliance Championship will be played in Ford Center at The Star in Frisco, Texas. The Alliance Championship, which was originally scheduled to be played in Las Vegas, will be broadcast on CBS Television Network in primetime on Saturday, April 27 at 8 pm ET.
Memphis Express linebacker DeMarquis Gates blocked a Birmingham Iron punt and defensive back Terrell Bonds ran it back 50 yards for the touchdown. It was the first blocked punt returned for a touchdown in Alliance history.
In the first overtime in Alliance history Memphis Express quarterback Brandon Silvers connects with wide receiver Daniel Williams on a 10-yard touchdown for the Express in their 31-25 victory over the Birmingham Iron.
The XFL announced that Heather Brooks Karatz, most recently the Executive Vice President and General Counsel of the Los Angeles Football Club and Banc of California Stadium, has been named President of the XFL football team in Los Angeles.
Arena Football League
National Arena League
Indoor Football League
Indoor football season is in full swing. In the Tucson Sugar Skulls vs. Arizona Rattlers game, fans received a friendly reminder to stay BEHIND the dasher boards during the action for your own safety.
With just 18 seconds remaining, Iowa Barnstormers QB Daquan Neal escaped pressure and lobbed the ball to WR Connor Hollenbeck for the game-winning 42-yard TD over the Nebraska Danger! Iowa won the game 58-55!
NBA G League
NBA G League Dunks of the Year:
Top 10 Plays of 2018-19 NBA G League Regular Season:
American Hockey League
Manitoba Moose left wing Kristian Vesalainen scored a game-winning overtime goal. They defeated the San Diego Gulls 4-3.
The Adirondack Thunder, proud ECHL affiliate of the New Jersey Devils, announced that they donated $25,169 to the C.R. Wood Cancer Center at Glens Falls Hospital from funds raised during their "Stick It To Cancer" weekend on March 8-9, 2019.
Southern Professional Hockey League
The Quad City Storm presented the USO of Illinois with a check for $45,000. The money was raised by the Storm and KISS through the Storm's 'KISS Night' game and an online jersey auction featuring Storm-KISS Jerseys autographed by each member of KISS. The USO Of Illinois will use the donation to continue to better the lives of United States Military Members and their families.
Major League Soccer
MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM) and Major League Soccer (MLS) announced a historic multi-year strategic partnership that establishes MGM Resorts as the league's first official gaming partner and Roar Digital (Roar), the joint venture between MGM and GVC, as the exclusive Official Sports Betting Partner of MLS.
Philadelphia Union forward David Accam scored two goals against Columbus and dedicated the performance to his late father.
United Soccer League Championship
What a strike by Rio Grande Valley Toros midfielder Romilio Hernandez against the El Paso Locomotive:
Canadian Premier League
National Lacrosse League
Colorado Mammoth forward Kyle Killen with a behind the back goal against the Vancouver Warriors:
Bryce Harper will not be the only member of his immediately family playing baseball in this section of Pennsylvania this summer. His older brother, Bryan, a left-handed relief pitcher, has signed a contract with the Lancaster Barnstormers for the 2019 season.
Major League Rugby
Rugby United New York goes the full distance in this week's No. 1 Try of the Week.
Did we miss anything newsworthy or downright fun? Have a nomination for next week's column? Contact us today and let us know.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 26, 2019
- Swamp Rabbits Unveil New Jerseys for 2019-20 Season - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Everblades Sign Alex Tonge to Amateur Tryout Contract - Florida Everblades
- Blackhawks Draft Pick Jack Ramsey Signs ATO with Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Colton Point Assigned to Steelheads from Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Add Lewis and Lagrone as Road Trip Continues - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - March 26 - ECHL
- Trevor Yates Returned to Wheeling - Wheeling Nailers
- Idaho's Sholl Named CCM/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Tomas Sholl Named CCM ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Idaho Steelheads
- Thomas Ebbing Called up by Laval Rocket - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Steelheads Host Pennant Giveaway, Open Final Homestand this Wednesday - Idaho Steelheads
- Tulsa's Perfetto Named Inglasco/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Gladiators Get Four from the AHL - Atlanta Gladiators
- Stephen Perfetto Named ECHL Player of the Week - Tulsa Oilers
- Super Bowl Trophy Appearance Highlights Promotion Packed Weekend for Railers - Worcester Railers HC
- Wings Weekly: Regular Season Winds Down with Final Seven Games on Road - Kalamazoo Wings
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this article are those of the writer(s), and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.