San Antonio Commanders' Joseph Zema Named Alliance of American Football Special Teams Player of the Week
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. - MARCH 26, 2019 - San Antonio Commanders punter Joseph Zema has been named the Alliance of American Football's week seven special teams player of the week, it was announced Tuesday afternoon.
Zema's honor makes four consecutive weeks a Commander has been recognized by the Alliance as a player of the week. Punt returner Greg Ward Jr. was named the week six special teams player of the week, while running back Kenneth Farrow II and quarterback Logan Woodside were named the offensive players of the week for their efforts in weeks four and five, respectively.
Offensive player of the week: Arizona QB John Wolford. Wolford completed 15 of 19 passes (78.9 percent) for 212 yards with two touchdowns and one interception for a 126.3 passer rating and added 44 yards rushing, including a 35-yard fourth-quarter touchdown run that helped lead The Hotshots to a 32-15 victory. Wolford, who also earned offensive player of the week honors in week one, is the first player in Alliance history to win multiple player of the week awards.
Defensive player of the week: Memphis LB DeMarquis Gates. Gates led The Express and tied for the league lead in week seven with 10 tackles, including one tackle for loss, and had two quarterback hits in Memphis' 31-25 overtime victory. Gates, who leads the league with 46 tackles this season, also contributed by blocking a punt which was returned 50 yards for a touchdown in the second half.
Special teams player of the week: San Antonio P Joseph Zema. In a tightly contested battle, Zema punted five times for a 46.6-yard average with a long of 54 yards and placed one punt inside the 20. Zema also had two tackles in the game, one of which stopped a potential punt return touchdown, and helped secure a 19-15 victory for The Commanders.
• Discuss this story on the Alliance of American Football message board...
Alliance of American Football Stories from March 26, 2019
- Salt Lake Stallions Announce Week 8 Roster Moves - Salt Lake Stallions
- San Antonio Commanders' Joseph Zema Named Alliance of American Football Special Teams Player of the Week - San Antonio Commanders
- Alliance of American Football Announces Week 7 Players of the Week - AAF
- Arizona Hotshots QB John Wolford Becomes First to Earn Multiple Player of the Week Awards - Arizona Hotshots
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Commanders Stories
- San Antonio Commanders Issue Official Statement
- San Antonio Commanders Fall to 5-3 After 23-6 Loss to Arizona Hotshots
- San Antonio Commanders' Joseph Zema Named Alliance of American Football Special Teams Player of the Week
- Commanders' Bausby, Hotshots' Wolford and Richardson Capture Week 7 AAF Honors
- San Antonio Commanders Score Late to Beat Salt Lake 19-15