Arizona Hotshots QB John Wolford Becomes First to Earn Multiple Player of the Week Awards
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. - As the playoff race tightens and each performance becomes increasingly important, The Alliance of American Football names week seven players of the week.
Offensive player of the week: Arizona QB John Wolford. Wolford completed 15 of 19 passes (78.9 percent) for 212 yards with two touchdowns and one interception for a 126.3 passer rating and added 44 yards rushing, including a 35-yard fourth-quarter touchdown run that helped lead The Hotshots to a 32-15 victory. Wolford, who also earned offensive player of the week honors in week one, is the first player in Alliance history to win multiple player of the week awards.
The former Wake Forest Demon Deacon leads the AAF in touchdown passes (13) and is second in the Alliance in passing yards (1400).
Defensive player of the week: Memphis LB DeMarquis Gates. Gates led The Express and tied for the league lead in week seven with 10 tackles, including one tackle for loss, and had two quarterback hits in Memphis' 31-25 overtime victory. Gates, who leads the league with 46 tackles this season, also contributed by blocking a punt which was returned 50 yards for a touchdown in the second half.
Special teams player of the week: San Antonio P Joseph Zema. In a tightly contested battle, Zema punted five times for a 46.6-yard average with a long of 54 yards and placed one punt inside the 20. Zema also had two tackles in the game, one of which stopped a potential punt return touchdown, and helped secure a 19-15 victory for The Commanders.
• Discuss this story on the Alliance of American Football message board...
Alliance of American Football Stories from March 26, 2019
- Salt Lake Stallions Announce Week 8 Roster Moves - Salt Lake Stallions
- San Antonio Commanders' Joseph Zema Named Alliance of American Football Special Teams Player of the Week - San Antonio Commanders
- Alliance of American Football Announces Week 7 Players of the Week - AAF
- Arizona Hotshots QB John Wolford Becomes First to Earn Multiple Player of the Week Awards - Arizona Hotshots
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Arizona Hotshots Stories
- Arizona Hotshots Issue Statement on AAF Decision
- Arizona Hotshots QB John Wolford Becomes First to Earn Multiple Player of the Week Awards
- Commanders' Bausby, Hotshots' Wolford and Richardson Capture Week 7 AAF Honors
- Big Plays Earn Three Standouts Week 6 AAF Player of the Week Honors
- Arizona Hotshots Host Public Safety Salute and #19 Retirement Ceremony Sunday, March 3