Bryce Harper's Big Brother to Play for the Barnstormers
Bryce Harper will not be the only member of his immediately family playing baseball in this section of Pennsylvania this summer.
His older brother, Bryan, a left-handed relief pitcher, has signed a contract with the Lancaster Barnstormers for the 2019 season, it was announced today by manager Ross Peeples.
The elder Harper, 29, signed with the Washington Nationals organization in 2011 out of the University of South Carolina. He spent a portion or all of four seasons at nearby Harrisburg and peaked at Class AAA Syracuse in 2016.
Last year, in 44 appearances with the Class AA Senators, he was 3-1 with four saves and a 3.69 ERA. The right-hander's career mark is 16-7 with a 3.66 ERA in 212 games, all in relief.
"Harper is a guy who will fit very well in our bullpen," said Peeples. "He is a lefty that can be used in several different situations. This is his second year since coming off Tommy John and that is when you start to feel your rhythm."
Bryan Harper becomes the 21st player under contract with the Barnstormers this season.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from March 22, 2019
- American Idol's Jake Puliti to Help Revolution Open 2019 Season - York Revolution
- Atlantic League Player Showcase Sold Out - AtL
- Bryce Harper's Big Brother to Play for the Barnstormers - Lancaster Barnstormers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lancaster Barnstormers Stories
- Lancaster Downs Black Sox, 6-1, on Fan Fest Saturday
- Barnstormers Walk to 4-2 Victory
- Barnstormers Blank LBC in Spring Opener
- Lancaster Barnstormers and Lancaster Behavioral Health Hospital to Strike out the Stigma
- Barnstormers Re-Sign Caleb Gindl and Ink Former OSU Cornerback