RedHawks Hire Jim Bennett as Team Manager
FARGO, N.D. - The Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks have named Jim Bennett as the team's third manager in franchise history. The announcement was made a press conference Wednesday morning at Newman Outdoor Field.
Signed as an undrafted free agent by the Seattle Mariners in 1988, the California native pitched in affiliated-baseball for three years. He was 2-1 with a 4.33 ERA for the AZL Red Sox/Mariners in his first season. Bennett finished his minor league career 13-28 but with a 3.54 ERA and just 73 walks in 310 IP. His pitching career ended in 1991 as he played for Fiorentina in Italy's Serie A2, going 5-3 with a 1.23 ERA.
Bennett began his coaching career in 1992 as a pitching coach with the Lethbridge Mounties ('92), AZL Angels ('93-'94), Boise Hawks ('95-'99), Lake Elsinore Storm ('97), Cedar Rapids Kernels ('98), Visalia Oaks (2000), Tri-City Dust Devils ('01), Asheville Tourists ('02), Visalia again ('03-'04), AZL Padres ('05) and San Jose Giants ('06-'07). He then took some time off from professional coaching before returning to the bench with the Perth Heat in the 2014-2015 Australian Baseball League (ABL). In 2015, Bennett was named as the pitching/bench coach for the Brisbane Bandits, which has won the last four ABL Championships. Recently, he was named the pitching coach for the Australian National Team, which will compete in the WBSC Premier 12 Tournament in late 2019.
"I'm excited and feel fortunate to be a part of the RedHawks organization," Bennett said. "This team has a tremendous amount of talent and l look forward to working with the staff and putting together a winning product on the field".
Brad Thom, RedHawks President/CEO, said "Jim has a vast amount of baseball knowledge and his success in the ABL has shown he knows what it takes to win and we're confident he'll fit in well with the organization and is the right choice to the lead the RedHawks back to the playoffs".
Bennett resides in Mesa, AZ in the offseason.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from March 20, 2019
- Calendar Overloaded with Fantastic Family Fun, Food, and Fireworks - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- RedHawks Hire Jim Bennett as Team Manager - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- T-Bones Make Deal with Skeeters - Kansas City T-Bones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks Stories
- RedHawks Win 4-3 in Game Two of NDCS; One Game Away from Series Win
- Jim Bennett Named 2019 American Association Manager of the Year
- RedHawks Take Game One of NDCS with 3-2 Victory over Saints
- RedHawks Yhoxian Medina Named 2019 American Association Defensive Player of the Year
- RedHawks to Start 2019 Aa Playoffs at Home against St. Paul Saints