Larkin Nets Overtime Winner as Bruins Beat Wings, 2-1
AUSTIN, Minn. - Hugh Larkin cut to the front of the net and buried the game-winner in overtime as the Bruins beat the Wings, 2-1, earning the weekend sweep.
In stark contrast to Friday night's game between the Bruins and Wings, Saturday turned into a battle of goaltending and defense. Austin got on the board first, thanks to Conner Tilmon. The first-year junior player scored his second goal of the season, and the second goal as many nights, to give the Bruins the 1-0 lead late in the first period.
A scoreless second period saw both defenses continue their strong play while netminding stood strong. Zach Hansen turned aside every Wings shot he saw during the first two periods. It was in the third when Aberdeen tied the game, off the stick of Noah Etter. In his third game in the NAHL, Etter took a pass from defenseman Jack Powell and slammed it back-door to even the score at 1-1.
It took overtime for the two teams to settle the score and Hugh Larkin proved to be Saturday night's hero. Only 24 seconds into the overtime period, two wings collided with each other leaving a lane for Larkin who cut down below the goal-line, into the slot, and fired off a wrister that beat Aberdeen goalie Henry Welsch for the winner.
The Bruins sweep of the Wings this weekend earned them their second and third consecutive victories. Austin owns a record of 5-2-0-1 on the year while Aberdeen slides to 2-2-3-1.
The Bruins are back in action this week with a Thursday night showdown on the road in Cloquet against the Wilderness, followed by a Saturday battle at Riverside Arena against that very same team. Tickets for Saturday night's game go on sale Monday, October 7 at all the Bruins vendors including Games People Play, Hy-Vee, Holiday Inn, and Jim's Marketplace.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from October 5, 2019
- IceRays Tie Best Start in Franchise History with 1-0 Shootout Win - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Larkin Nets Overtime Winner as Bruins Beat Wings, 2-1 - Austin Bruins
- Bulls Bounce Back with Four Goal Night in Topeka - Amarillo Bulls
- Steel Complete Weekend Series Sweep of Kenai River - Chippewa Steel
- Bugs Rally Late to Beat Blues in OT - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Tomahawks Split Series with Nordiques - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Pilots Shut out Bulls, Win 2-0 - Topeka Pilots
- Winning Streak Comes to An End in Chippewa - Kenai River Brown Bears
- Wings Fall in Friday Shootout - Aberdeen Wings
- Titans Roll over Generals 7 - 2 - New Jersey Titans
- Blues Blank Bugs - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Jacks Drop Home Opener 3-1 to Corpus Christi - Odessa Jackalopes
- IceRays Defeat Jackalopes 3-1 Friday - Corpus Christi IceRays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Bruins Stories
- Secondary Schedule Change Made Regarding Bruins/Wilderness in January
- Bruins Announce Rescheduling of First Three Regular-Season Games Including Home-Opener
- Thrilling Overtime Game Goes to Sioux City, 5-4
- Bruins Hang Tough But Fall to US National Team, 5-0
- Austin Bruins Announce Full Preseason Schedule