Lambson, Goldeyes blank RailCats, 5-0, in rubber game
GARY, IND. - A complete game shutout from Mitchell Lambson and a three-run fourth inning from the Goldeyes was too much for the RailCats as Gary was blanked by Winnipeg, 5-0, in the rubber game on a chilly Thursday night at U.S. Steel Yard. Gary has now lost five of their last six games and are 2-7 in their last nine games.
Winnipeg (16-10) took the opening lead for the third straight time in the series with three runs in the fourth. Willy Garcia doubled to left-center to begin the inning before Dominic Ficociello brought home W. Garcia with an opposite-field RBI single. Reggie Abercrombie followed Ficociello with an RBI triple off the top of the left-center wall, plating Ficociello from first. Two batters later, James Harris scored Abercrombie with a two-out RBI single to center.
The Goldeyes increased their lead to four with another run in the sixth. Abercrombie walked to begin the inning before Kyle Martin singled to right, giving Winnipeg runners on the corners. Wes Darvill then reached on a fielder's choice, resulting in Abercrombie being tagged out after trying to score from third on the play. Harris followed Darvill with his second RBI after singling back through the middle, bringing Martin around to score from second.
Winnipeg added their final run in the seventh to go up by five. Alex Perez walked to begin the inning before going to third on Josh Romanski's fourth single of the game. W. Garcia followed Romanski with a sacrifice fly to left, bringing in Perez from third.
Lambson (3-1) yielded just six hits, walked none and struck out seven in the win. The southpaw retired 10 in a row and got out 19 of the first RailCats 21 hitters.
Tom Walraven recorded half of the Gary (11-13) hits, extended his season-high on-base streak to 16 games and was the only RailCat baserunner to reach third. Kaleb Fontenot (0-3) was charged with the loss in his first Independent Professional Baseball (IPBF) start after allowing three runs on six hits and a walk over a season-high 3.1 innings.
Gary resumes their six-game homestand on Friday at 7:10 p.m. in the first game of the year between the RailCats and the St. Paul Saints. RailCats southpaw Trevor Lubking (4-2, 1.95) opposes former RailCat Jake Matthys (2-1, 4.91) in the opening game of the series.
Friday's game is Princess and Pirates Night, presented by Tradewinds, Inc., another Fifth Third Bank Fireworks Friday and a Scout Night Campout. The Scout Night Campout includes a Q & A with the players, a movie on the jumbotron and s'mores and breakfast the next morning. The Scout Night Campout offers three different ticket packages and can be purchased here.
Ticket packages for the 2019 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 13, 2019
- Buck's Big Hit Lifts Cleburne - Cleburne Railroaders
- Lambson, Goldeyes blank RailCats, 5-0, in rubber game - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Canaries Hit Three Homers to Clinch Series Win - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Sign Former Dodger Farmhand, Reliever Karch Kowalczyk - St. Paul Saints
- Perrin and Bats Conduct Win over Railroaders - Kansas City T-Bones
- X's Bats Beat up Saltdogs - Sioux City Explorers
- 'Dogs Routed by X's on Wednesday Night - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- 'Cats Swept by Dogs in 11-7 Defeat to End Regular-Season Series
- Gary Swept by Chicago in Two-Game Set on Sandlot Night
- 'Cats Drop Fifth Straight Series Opener in 16-5 Loss to Dogs
- RailCats Sign Avon, Ind., Native Strobel, Activate Price Jr. from Inactive List
- Walraven's Two 3-Run Homers Leads Gary to 10-7 Win and Series Split