LAFC Advances to 2020 CONCACAF Champions League Final After Defeating Club America 3-1
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) advanced to the Final of the 2020 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League (SCCL) after defeating Club América 3-1 in the Semifinals on Sunday night. Goals from Carlos Vela (2) and Latif Blessing sealed the come-from-behind victory for the Black & Gold at Exploria Stadium in Orlando, FL.
With the win, LAFC becomes the first team in MLS history to eliminate three Mexican clubs in the same edition of the region's tournament, and the fourth MLS side to reach the championship match since 2011.
America would open the scoresheet in the 11th minute when Sebastian Caceres headed home a corner kick at the far post. Moments before the interval, with LAFC pushing for the equalizer, the Club would be reduced to 10-men after midfielder Eduard Atuesta was given a straight red card for an apparent altercation with América goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa.
Despite trailing 1-0 and a man down, LAFC would quickly change the momentum of the game as Vela tallied two goals in 72 seconds, including the game-tying goals just 13 seconds into the second half. Deep into stoppage time, LAFC added a third as Latif Blessing knocked home a rebound after Diego Rossi's attempt was initially blocked by Ochoa, and securing the 3-1 victory and a spot in the CCL final.
LAFC will now face Tigres UANL in the Final of the 2020 Concacaf Champions League on Tuesday, December 22 at 7:00 p.m. PT. The winner of the 2020 SCCL will advance to the 2020 FIFA Club World Cup scheduled to take place from February 1-11 in Doha, Qatar.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 20, 2020
- D.C. United Re-Sign Goalkeeper Chris Seitz Through 2021 - D.C. United
- LAFC Advances to 2020 CONCACAF Champions League Final After Defeating Club America 3-1 - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC Announces 2021 Preseason Training Camp Ahead of Club's Fourth MLS Campaign
- LAFC and Real So Cal Soccer Club to Form LAFC So Cal Youth
- LAFC Gaming Announces Partnership with McDonald's of SoCal
- LAFC Loans Forward Brian Rodriguez to UD Almeria
- LAFC Signs Goalkeeper Tomas Romero