LA Galaxy Sign Midfielder Efrain Alvarez
LOS ANGELES - LA Galaxy have signed LA Galaxy Academy midfielder Efrain Alvarez to a Homegrown Player contract, the club announced today. Alvarez, a product of the LA Galaxy Academy, joins the club after signing his first professional contract with LA Galaxy II last year.
"Efrain has a bright future within this club and we are very thrilled to sign him," said LA Galaxy Head Coach Sigi Schmid. "He's a very talented and creative young player with a great vision of the game. He's progressed through our organization and we are excited for that continued development."
Alvarez, at 15 years and 258 days, becomes the seventh youngest MLS signing in league history, two days behind Vancouver Whitecaps FC's Alphonso Davies. Last year, Alvarez became the youngest signing in USL history at 15 years and 44 days when he inked his first professional contract with LA Galaxy II.
Internationally, Alvarez has spent time with U.S. Soccer Youth National Team and Mexican National Team sides. Most recently, Alvarez was called into Mexico's U-17 training camp in Mexico City. He featured for the Mexico U-15s at the Rimini Cup in Germany in 2017, in addition to a U-15 training camp last October.
Alvarez also had a big 2017 with the LA Galaxy Academy, leading the U-17/18s to the USSDA Championships at StubHub Center in July, scoring in the team's quarterfinal, semifinal and championship matches.
The Galaxy sign Alvarez after acquiring forward Ola Kamara, midfielder Perry Kitchen, defender Jorgen Skjelvik, defender Rolf Feltscher, goalkeeper David Bingham, defender Emrah Klimenta, goalkeeper Brian Sylvestre, midfielder Servando Carrasco, forward Chris Pontius, goalkeeper Justin Vom Steeg and re-signing defender Ashley Cole and midfielder Baggio Husidic during this offseason.
Additionally, the Galaxy selected Tomas Hilliard-Arce with the 2nd pick, Drew Skundrich with the 40th pick and Nate Shultz with the 48th pick in the 2018 MLS SuperDraft.
Alvarez and the LA Galaxy will open the 2018 MLS Season on Sunday, March 4 at StubHub Center against Portland Timbers (7 p.m. PT, FS1), presented by Children's Hospital Los Angeles. Tickets to that match are on sale now, available here.
Transaction: LA Galaxy sign midfielder Efrain Alvarez from LA Galaxy II
Name: Efrain Alvarez
Weight: 150 lbs.
Last Club: LA Galaxy II
Birthplace: Los Angeles, Calif.
Nationality: United States and Mexico
LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships for the 2018 Major League Soccer season are available now. Season Ticket Members and Galaxy fans can go to lagalaxy.com/since96 to secure their 2018 LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships, beginning as low as just $323 per seat ($17 per match). Fans can also call 1.877.3GALAXY (342.5299) and press 2 when prompted to secure Season Ticket Memberships.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 4, 2018
- Sounders FC Drops 1-0 Loss to Los Angeles FC in 2018 MLS Opener - Seattle Sounders FC
- Impact Falls 2-1 to Vancouver - Montreal Impact
- Kamara dazzles in debut, Davies scores his first MLS goal in 'Caps win - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Kamara Dazzles in Debut, Davies Scores First MLS Goal as 'Caps Win Season Opener - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Match Preview: New York and Tijuana Clash in CCL Quarterfinals - New York Red Bulls
- LA Galaxy Sign Midfielder Efrain Alvarez - Los Angeles Galaxy
- MNUFC Battles Back in 3-2 Loss to San Jose - Minnesota United FC
- Earthquakes Start Season with 3-2 Win against Minnesota United FC - San Jose Earthquakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy to Host Fan Appreciation Day on October 28 at StubHub Center During Final MLS Regular Season Match
- Rose Bowl Stadium to Host Inaugural Matchday of the 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup on June 15
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 1, Sporting KC 1 - Saturday, October 6, 2018
- Rolf Feltscher Called up to Venezuelan National Team for International Friendlies
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 3, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 0