LA Galaxy Re-Sign Defender Daniel Steres
LOS ANGELES - The LA Galaxy announced today that the club has re-signed defender Daniel Steres. Steres, 29, returns to the club for his fifth season after making 102 appearances and 94 starts along the LA Galaxy backline since 2016 after signing from LA Galaxy II.
"We are excited to bring back Daniel to continue as part of our defense," said LA Galaxy General Manager Dennis te Kloese. "He is an experienced player who brings continuity to our backline and we look forward to him remaining a part his hometown club."
The former LA Galaxy II captain and two-time Los Dos Player of the Year originally signed with the LA Galaxy on Dec. 17, 2015 from the club's USL Championship side. Steres quickly went on to become a regular for the LA Galaxy's backline, accumulating over 100 appearances and tallying seven goals and two assists from the central defense position.
The defender was born in Burbank, California, and attended Calabasas High School. A three-time Jewish Community Center (JCC) Maccabi Championship Team member, he earned a scholarship to San Diego State University, where he played all four years and went on to earn All-Pac-19 honors. He was selected by Chivas USA in the 2012 MLS Supplemental Draft with the 28th overall pick, but later joined with Seattle Sounders FC after being selected in the 2012 MLS Waiver Draft.
Steres signed for the Wilmington Hammerheads ahead of the 2013 USL Season and went on to lead the team in goals with seven in addition to recording three assists. He was named the team MVP that season before he returned to Southern California to sign with Galaxy II.
The LA Galaxy will kick off their 25th season in Major League Soccer on Saturday, Feb. 29 on the road at BBVA Compass Stadium against the Houston Dynamo (12:30 p.m. PT). The LA Galaxy's 2020 home opener is set for Saturday, March 7 at Dignity Health Sports Park against Vancouver Whitecaps FC at 7 p.m. PT. Tickets to the home opener will go on sale to the general public beginning Friday, Dec. 13 at 10 a.m. PT on www.lagalaxy.com/tickets.
Transaction: LA Galaxy re-sign defender Daniel Steres.
Name: Daniel Steres
Weight: 175 lbs.
Born: Nov. 11, 1990
Last Club: LA Galaxy II
Birthplace: Burbank, CA
Hometown: Calabasas, CA
Nationality: United States
LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships for the 2020 Major League Soccer season are now available. Galaxy fans can go to lagalaxy.com/since96 to secure their 2020 LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships. Fans can also call 1.877.3GALAXY (342.5299) and press 2 when prompted to purchase memberships.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 12, 2019
- LA Galaxy's Safe-Standing Supporters' Section at Dignity Health Sports Park Named Victoria Block - LA Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Acquire MLS SuperDraft Pick from FC Cincinnati in Exchange for Homegrown Rights to Zico Bailey - LA Galaxy
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Homegrown Defender Zico Bailey in Trade with LA Galaxy - FC Cincinnati
- Columbus Crew SC Adds Two Players to Its 2020 Roster - Columbus Crew SC
- FC Cincinnati's 12 Days of Christmas starts tomorrow - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls Add Paul Fernie as Head of Scouting - New York Red Bulls
- LA Galaxy Re-Sign Defender Daniel Steres - LA Galaxy
- Orlando City SC Signs Jordan Bender to Homegrown Contract - Orlando City SC
- FC Cincinnati Expands Kids Club; Launches Cub Club - FC Cincinnati
- Bradley Signs New Deal with Toronto FC - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.