LA Galaxy Battle Back to Earn 2-2 Road Draw at Real Salt Lake on Wednesday Night
LOS ANGELES - Down 2-0 in the first half, the LA Galaxy fought back to earn a 2-2 road draw against Real Salt Lake at Rio Tinto Stadium on Wednesday night. Rayan Raveloson tallied the game-tying goal, while Víctor Vázquez notched his first goal of the 2021 campaign. Additionally, Samuel Grandsir registered an assist for a third consecutive match.
LA Galaxy Against Real Salt Lake
Wednesday's match marked the 43rd MLS regular-season meeting between LA and Real Salt Lake, with the Galaxy leading the series 18-15-10. In its last five meetings against RSL dating back to April 28, 2019, LA holds a 4-1-1 record. The Galaxy are 2-2-1 in their last five road matches against RSL dating back to March, 18, 2017.
Three Goals In Three Games For Raveloson
With his goal against Real Salt Lake, Raveloson tallied a goal for a third consecutive match dating back to a 3-1 win over FC Dallas on July 7. Notably, Raveloson's three headed goals ranks tied for second in MLS. The Madagascar international midfielder ranks second on the team in goals scored behind only Javier Hernandez (10).
RSL - Albert Rusnak (Aaron Herrera, Maikel Chang), 9th minute: Receiving a pass from Herrera inside the penalty area, Rusnak's first-time hit was struck into the left side of the net.
RSL - Maikel Chang (Rubio Rubin), 26th minute: Cutting inside on his left foot, Chang's low shot from just outside the 18-yard box squeezed just inside the near post.
LA - Victor Vázquez (Samuel Grandsir, Sacha Kljestan), 33rd minute: Working the ball down the left side, Grandsir laid the ball off to Vázquez. The Spaniard cut onto his right foot before curling his shot into the top corner of the goal.
LA - Rayan Raveloson (Julian Araujo, Derrick Williams), 78th minute: After Derrick Williams switched the play of attack to Araujo on the right flank, the defender delivered a cross into the box that found Raveloson, who powered his header into the corner of the net.
LA is 8-5-1 (25 pts) this season, sitting in third place in the Western Conference standings.
LA (25 points) sits in fourth place in the Supporters Shield race, behind the New England Revolution (30 points), Seattle Sounders FC (29 points) and Sporting KC (27 points).
Following a loss, the Galaxy are 4-0-1 during the 2021 regular-season campaign, outscoring their opponents 10-5.
LA earned its first draw of the 2021 MLS regular season.
The Galaxy have scored 23 goals this season, which ranks tied for third in MLS with Seattle.
Wednesday's match marked the 43rd MLS regular-season meeting between LA and Real Salt Lake, with the Galaxy leading the series 18-15-10.
In its last six regular-season meetings against RSL dating back to April 28, 2019, LA holds a 4-1-1 record.
In 21 all-time MLS regular-season road matches at RSL, the Galaxy are 5-8-8.
The Galaxy are 2-2-1 in their last five road matches against RSL dating back to March, 18, 2017.
Galaxy Head Coach Greg Vanney has a 2-2-2 record in six MLS regular-season game managed against Real Salt Lake during his time as a head coach in MLS (2014 - present).
Wednesday's match marked the 800th MLS regular-season match for the Galaxy, with LA holding a 358-278-164 record.
In seven matches played on the road in 2021, the Galaxy are 3-3-1 and have scored 11 road goals, which ranks third in MLS.
In eight matches played in its primary kit this season, LA holds a 4-3-1 record.
Jonathan Bond, Samuel Grandsir, Sacha Kljestan and Jorge Villafaña are the only four Galaxy players to play in every match this season (14).
Bond and Villafaña are the only two LA players to start every match this year (14).
In five matches played dating back to June 26, Grandsir has tallied four assists.
In his last three appearances dating back to July 7, Victor Vázquez has tallied one goal and two assists.
Julian Araujo tallied his second assist of the season.
In six appearances (6 starts) in 2021, Derrick Williams has registered two assists.
Next up, the Galaxy close out a three match road trip when they travel to face FC Dallas at Toyota Stadium on Saturday, July 24. The July 24 match kicks off at 5:30 p.m. PT and features a regional television broadcast on Spectrum SportsNet.
LA Galaxy (8-5-1, 25pts) at Real Salt Lake (4-4-5, 17pts)
July 21, 2021 - Rio Tinto Stadium (Sandy, Utah)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
LA Galaxy 1 1 2
Real Salt Lake 2 0 2
RSL: Rusnak (Herrera, Chang), 9
RSL: Chang (Rubin), 26
LA: Vázquez (Grandsir, Kjlestan), 33
LA: Raveloson (Araujo, Williams), 78
LA: Raveloson (caution), 71
LA: Kjlestan (caution), 90+1
LA: GK Jonathan Bond; D Julian Araujo, D Nick DePuy, D Derrick Williams, D Jorge Villafaña; M Victor Vázquez (Adam Saldaña, 76), M Rayan Raveloson, M Sacha Kljestan ©; F Samuel Grandsir (Daniel Steres, 77), F Kévin Cabral, F Cameron Dunbar (Ethan Zubak, 45)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Jonathan Klinsmann; D Danilo Acosta; M Daniel Aguirre, M Johnathan Perez, F Augustine Williams
TOTAL SHOTS: 12 (Samuel Grandsir, 4); SHOTS ON GOAL: 6 (Rayan Raveloson, 2); FOULS: 15 (Nick DePuy, 3) OFFSIDES: 3; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 2
RSL: GK David Ochoa; D Donny Toia, D Justen Glad, D Marcelo Silva, D Aaron Herrera; M Pablo Ruiz (Nick Besler, 72), M Damir Kreilach, M Albert Rusnak ©, M Maikel Chang (Anderson Julio, 74), M Everton Luiz (Justin Meram, 82), F Rubio Rubin (Bobby Wood, 88)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Zac MacMath; D Erik Holt, D Ashtone Morgan; M Jonathan Menendez, M Justin Portillo
TOTAL SHOTS: 11 (Damir Kreilach, 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 4 (Albert Rusnak, 2); FOULS: 7 (Everton Luiz, 2) OFFSIDES: 2; CORNER KICKS: 4; SAVES: 4
Referee: Kevin Stott
Assistant Referees: Jeff Hosking, Diego Blas
Fourth Official: Michael Radchuk
VAR: Daniel Radford
Weather: Partly Cloudy, 94 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 22, 2021
- Young Sounders Battle Their Way to Road Victory in Austin - Seattle Sounders FC
- Forward Kacper Przybylko scores his fifth goal of MLS regular season - Philadelphia Union
- Austin FC Falls 1-0 against Seattle Sounders FC - Austin FC
- Michel, Perea Score for the Lions in 2-1 Victory over Philadelphia - Orlando City SC
- Austin Welcomes U.S. Soccer World Cup Qualifying Match to Q2 Stadium on October 7 - Austin FC
- D.C. United Forward Adrien Perez Undergoes Surgery to Repair Fractured Metatarsal - D.C. United
- Sounders FC Takes on Expansion Side Austin FC Thursday Evening at Q2 Stadium - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire FC Becomes First Professional Sports Team to Partner with Illinois Diversity Council - Chicago Fire FC
- Tickets to the Leagues Cup Final at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas Available Starting Tomorrow Friday, July 23 - MLS
- Charlotte FC Celebrates First Anniversary of Its Name and Crest - Charlotte FC
- Building the Club: Charlotte FC's Progress over the Past Year - Charlotte FC
- Timbers Down LAFC 2-1 in Stoppage Time at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Battle Back to Earn 2-2 Road Draw at Real Salt Lake on Wednesday Night - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy Fall 2-0 on the Road to Austin FC on Sunday Night
- LA Galaxy Announce Broadcast Change for November 1 Road Match at Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Announce Programming Around Landon Donovan Celebration
- LA Galaxy Fall on the Road to Minnesota United FC on Saturday Night
- Los Angeles Releases Official Campaign Video in Bid to Host FIFA World Cup 2026™