L.A. Galaxy Acquire First Round Pick in 2005
CARSON, CA (Monday, January 12, 2004) - Los Angeles Galaxy Vice-President and General Manager Doug Hamilton announced today that the club has acquired the Columbus Crew's natural first round pick in the 2005 MLS SuperDraft in exchange for midfielder Simon Elliott. In their first trade of 2004, the Galaxy opens an international roster spot by sending Elliott to the Crew.
"On behalf of the Galaxy organization, we would like to thank Simon for his dedication over the past five seasons. He was an important piece in the Galaxy's successes and championship titles. We wish him well," said Hamilton. "This move provides us flexibility as we shape our team for the 2004 MLS season."
In five MLS seasons, Elliott appeared in 122 games, making 115 starts for the Galaxy. The 6-0, 185-pound midfielder registered 10 goals and 33 assists for a total of 53 points to rank eighth on the club's all-time in scoring list. He was on the field as Galaxy won their treble of titles in the region, capturing the 2002 MLS Cup, 2001 U.S. Open Cup and the 2000 CONCACAF Champions' Cup.
In his best MLS season, Elliott was voted the Galaxy's 2000 Most Valuable Player (MVP) after compiling five goals and five assists for 15 points (career high). That year, he finished second on the team in scoring behind Cobi Jones (20 pts).
In the playoffs, Elliott appeared in 25 games -21 starts - in five trips, tallying six assists. He helped the club advance to one MLS Cup semifinal ('00) and three MLS Cup finals ('99, 01 and '02).
A native of Wellington, New Zealand, Elliott played in over 50 games for his national team, including appearing with the All Whites in the FIFA Confederations Cup France 2003. The New Zealand International also saw extensive time in qualifying matches to the 2002 FIFA World Cup.
Elliott was acquired by the Galaxy as a Discovery Player on May 22, 1999 after a short stint with the A-League's Boston Bulldogs. Prior to joining the Bulldogs, he attended Stanford University and finished his college career with 13 goals and 12 assists for 38 points.
Los Angeles Galaxy tickets are now on sale for the 2004 season at The Home Depot Center, who open their ninth season in MLS with a match against the New England Revolution at 7 pm (PT) on Saturday April 3, 2004. For more information or to purchase your 2004 Los Angeles Galaxy season tickets, please call toll-free 1-877-3GALAXY or visit www.lagalaxy.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 12, 2004
- Earthquakes General Manager Johnny Moore Resigns - San Jose Earthquakes
- Crew Acquires Elliot from Los Angeles - Columbus Crew SC
- L.A. Galaxy Acquire First Round Pick in 2005 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- L.A. Galaxy Weekly Update - Los Angeles Galaxy
- MetroStars Weekly Report - New York Red Bulls
- Revolution's Shalrie Joseph named Grenada's Soccer Player of the Year - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy to Host Inaugural 2019 eMLS League Series One in January
- Applications to Join LA Galaxy Star Squad for 2019 Season Are Now Open
- LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Wins 2018 AT&T Goal of the Year
- LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Named MLS Newcomer of the Year
- LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Named to 2018 MLS Best XI