Know Your Opponent: Inter Miami CF
Finally, the moment we have all been waiting for, MLS is back and it comes against our newest neighbors, Inter Miami CF. Here is what you need to know about the MLS expansion side ahead of Wednesday's meeting at 8:00 pm ET on ESPN:
We won't cover the whole team, just the names to keep an eye on and some important news you might have missed. For the full roster click here.
Matias Pellegrini and Julian Carranza are young playmakers to be wary of but the main threat for the expansion side is Mexican International, Rodolfo Pizarro.
Miami also has been active in recent days by acquiring former Orlando City defender/midfielder Brek Shea on June 25th as a free agent and former Atlanta United defender Leandro Gonzalez Pirez on July 1st.
In other news, 2020 MLS SuperDraft No. 1 pick Robbie Robinson left the MLS is Back Tournament for personal reasons as reported by the Miami Herald on Monday afternoon. Robinson had started both MLS matches Miami played at the beginning of 2020.
Before league play was halted, Miami's two showings were losses on the road to LAFC and D.C. United.
That's a small sample size to judge from and months ago. Who really knows the form each team is in going into the #MLSisBack Tournament? One could argue the pause has given Miami more time to build chemistry as a team. On the other hand, the pause might have disrupted the progress they were making. Only time will tell.
We all know this is the first meeting between the two sides. The record stands, obviously, at 0-0-0.
Rasmussen College Fact
When both sides take the pitch on Wednesday it will have been 123 days since their last games back on March 7th. Some perspective, City's offseason lasted 146 days (the gap between the 2019 season finale and the 2020 home opener). Fitness will be key.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 6, 2020
- Yanmar Sponsors New York Red Bulls as Jersey Patch Sponsor for MLS Is Back Tournament - New York Red Bulls
- Rapids Depart for Orlando After All Members of Traveling Party Test Negative for COVID-19 - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: July 6, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas Withdrawn from MLS Is Back Tournament - MLS
- Major League Soccer Withdraws FC Dallas from MLS Is Back Tournament - FC Dallas
- McDonough and Alonso Provide Updates Ahead of MLS Is Back Tournament - Inter Miami CF
- Know Your Opponent: Inter Miami CF - Orlando City SC
- Revolution Sign Defender Collin Verfurth from Revolution II - MLS
- Carlos Vela to Skip MLS is Back Tournament - Los Angeles FC
- RAVE Foundation and Seattle Storm Unite with Symetra Life Insurance Company to Renovate Public Multi-Purpose Recreation Space for Youth - Seattle Sounders FC
- Whitecaps FC Loan Gianfranco Facchineri to Canadian Premier League Club AtlÃÂ©tico Ottawa - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- MLS Is Back Tournament to Recognize Best Stars and Greatest Moments - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- MLS Sets New Date for Orlando City SC's Match Against Columbus
- A Historic Night, Lions Clinch First Playoff Berth in Club History
- Lions Clinch First Playoff Berth in Club History with 1-1 Draw at New York Red Bulls
- Know Your Opponent: New York Red Bulls
- Storylines: City vs. Red Bulls