Knights Strike in Overtime to Beat Black Bears
ODENTON, MD - The Maryland Black Bears looked to get back into the win column as they begin a three-week road trip starting against the Wilkes-Barre Scranton Knights. While the Black Bears were able to use a late goal to pick up a point, they were unable to secure a win, falling in overtime 4-3.
The scoring began in the second period when Maryland forward Ethan Heidepriem deflected a shot into the net for a 1-0 lead. The Knights responded with a goal from forward Zak Currie, sneaking a sharp angle shot past Black Bear goalie Cooper Black for the tie. Maryland defenseman Thomas Jarman regained the lead for the Black Bears when his wrist shot from the point beat Wilkes-Barre/Scranton goalie Alex Contey for a 2-1 lead. The lead only lasted for 13 seconds before Knights' forward Johnny Kaljian tipped a puck into the net for a 2-2 tie.
Wilke-Barre/Scranton capitalized on a power-play goal from defenseman Spencer Kring for a late 3-2 lead in the third period. Later that period with the net empty, Maryland forward Andrew Remer was able to score with just 1:23 to go in regulation to tie the game. The game went into overtime, extending Maryland's point streak to eight straight games. However, it was the Knights scoring in overtime thanks to Cayden Meyer for a 4-3 win.
The Knights and Black Bears rematch tomorrow with a puck drop scheduled for 3:00 PM ET at Revolution Ice Arena.
The Maryland Black Bears is a Junior Hockey Team that competes in the North American Hockey League (NAHL). Our players, 16-20 years old, are vying for NCAA DI/III Scholarships. The Black Bears are the hometown hockey team of Central Maryland and play out of the Piney Orchard Ice Arena. The Maryland Black Bears play for more than just wins!
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from January 10, 2020
- Weekend Preview vs. Kenai - New Mexico Ice Wolves
- Bugs Blowout IceRays - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Stern Saves Season High in Loss to Amarillo - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bulls Blank Jackalopes Behind Glockner's Seventh Shutout - Amarillo Bulls
- Bruins Win Fifth Straight, Push Past Blizzard, 3-2 - Austin Bruins
- Steel Shutout Jets At Home - Chippewa Steel
- Rebels Held Scoreless in Loss to Johnstown - Jamestown Rebels
- Knights Strike in Overtime to Beat Black Bears - Maryland Black Bears
- Pilots Look to Continue Success in Second Half of Season - Topeka Pilots
- Game Night - Aberdeen Wings
- Bring the Energy - Minot Minotauros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.