Knighthawks Sign Forward Mike Triolo
The Rochester Knighthawks announced today that they have signed Mike Triolo to a one-year deal. The towering 6-foot-8 forward is back for this third stint with the Knighthawks. The Toronto native, who last signed with the team on August 4, 2017, said he was glad to get another opportunity to play in the National Lacrosse League.
"I was at a loss for words," said Triolo. "I was just happy to get the call and just dropped everything that I was doing. I just want to be here. I will do whatever they need me to do."
This season in the Arena Lacrosse League (ALL), the Oshawa Outlaws' team captain has 16 goals and 14 assists. Triolo has accumulated 74 goals and 82 assists for 156 points in 32 games.
"Mike has always been at the cusp of breaking into this league. He just needed an opportunity," said Knighthawks assistant coach Mike Accursi. "We had some space available on the roster, and he has been playing well in the ALL. I like his size, and I like his speed. It will be good to have him out the front door, banging bodies. You can't teach size."
This summer, Triolo won the Senior "B" President's Cup as a member of the St. Albert Miners. He finished the tournament tied for second with 35 points in nine games, posting 15 goals and 20 assists as the Miners won their second straight title.
"It was the best experience of my life out there," he said. "The group of guys that they have out there in Edmonton were bar none some of the best guys I played with. I am glad I did it."
In 2017, Triolo had the best year of his lacrosse career. In the Arena Lacrosse League, he was named a 2017 First Team All-Star after finishing second in the league with 70 points (30+40). In the ALL Championship Game, he netted his biggest goal of the season at the most opportune time. Triolo scored 15 seconds into overtime to give Oshawa an 11-10 victory over the St. Catharines ShockWave. For his season-long success, he was named the league's Most Valuable Player.
Triolo followed up his stint in the ALL with an impressive showing out west, finishing third on the Victoria Shamrocks in points with 45. He also placed in the Top 20 in the Western Lacrosse Association in assists (29) and points.
The forward was originally a third-round pick (27th overall) of the Buffalo Bandits in the 2015 NLL Entry Draft. Before being drafted by Buffalo, he was a standout at Division II Pfeiffer University, where he was a three-time All-Conference selection. During his career, he posted 44 goals, 38 assists, and 82 points, and caused 81 turnovers. He still ranks first in Pfeiffer history in career ground balls and caused turnovers. He also had the second highest ground ball total in a season with 105 in 2013.
Signing with the Knighthawks marks the fourth time that he has joined an NLL club. In 2016, he joined with the Knighthawks after an impressive showing in the team's rookie camp. He also played in all three of Rochester's preseason games. After a strong 2017 camp, Triolo began the 2017-18 season on the Knighthawks' practice squad.
This year, he hopes to take the next step and play in his first NLL game. Tonight is the perfect opportunity as the Knighthawks host the Georgia Swarm and then travel to play the Toronto Rock on Saturday.
"I have been trying to grow my game as much as I can," said Triolo. "I am glad they have given me the opportunity again to show that I am growing again. We'll see with the games this weekend if I am up to snuff. I think I am, but I am just thrilled to be here."
Images from this story
Rochester Knighthawks forward Mike Triolo
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from March 15, 2019
- Georgia Swarm Sweep Knighthawks; Clinch Fourth-Straight Trip to the Postseason - Georgia Swarm
- NLL Named a Finalist for Cynopsis Sports Media Awards - NLL
- Black Wolves Head to Vancouver: 4 Things to Know - New England Black Wolves
- Knighthawks Sign Forward Mike Triolo - Rochester Knighthawks
- Game Preview | Warriors vs Black Wolves - Vancouver Warriors
- Playoff Mentality - Vancouver Warriors
- Rochester Kicks off Divisional Weekend Tonight against Georgia - Rochester Knighthawks
- Summary of Disciplinary Action - Week 13 - NLL
- Rush vs. Bandits Game Notes - Saskatchewan Rush
- Georgia Swarm Partner with Andy Stanley's North Point Ministries to Support Youth Mission Trips - Georgia Swarm
- Playoff Scenarios Week 14 - NLL
- St. Patty's Day Jersey Auction Announced - San Diego Seals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Knighthawks Stories
- Knighthawks Announce 2019 Training Camp Schedule, Roster
- Reid Agrees to One-Year Deal with Knighthawks
- Knighthawks Announce Time Change for February 9 Home Game against Vancouver
- Knighthawks, Rees Agree to Multi-Year Deal
- Caraglio's Pizza Named the Official Pizza of Blue Cros S Arena, Amerks and Knighthawks