Khari Jones Becomes Interim Head Coach of the Montreal Alouettes
Montreal - The Montreal Alouettes announced on Saturday that the organization and head coach Mike Sherman have agreed to part ways. Offensive Coordinator Khari Jones has been promoted to the position of interim Head Coach and will combine both positions.
"We would like to thank Mike Sherman for his hard work and dedication with our team," said Alouettes' General Manager Kavis Reed. "We would have preferred a different turn of events, but we believe that we are making this decision with the best interest of our organization and our team in mind."
"We had identified some key elements from last year where we wanted to see some changes, but unfortunately, these adjustments did not materialize. These decisions are never easy to take, but we believe that this is the right one to make. Our team is in good hands as Khari showed great things in 2018 and has a very solid experience in the CFL."
Jones will be starting his second season with the Alouettes. He worked closely with the team's young quarterbacks who showed good progression in 2018. He started his coaching career in 2009 with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, where he led the quarterbacks in his first two seasons before being promoted to Offensive Coordinator the following year. In 2012 and 2013, he coached the Saskatchewan Roughriders quarterbacks, helping his team win the Grey Cup in his second year. The 48-year-old Hammond, IN native enjoyed an 11-season career as a CFL quarterback, playing for the BC Lions, Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Calgary Stampeders, Edmonton Eskimos and Hamilton Tiger-Cats.
"This is a tremendous honour," said Khari Jones. "I would have liked this announcement to occur in different circumstances, but I am ready to take on this new challenge. We have a great coaching staff and a group of hard working, talented players. I am looking forward to seeing our players come together as we all work with them with one goal in mind."
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from June 8, 2019
- Eskimos Whittle Roster - Edmonton Eskimos
- Argonauts Make Roster Moves - Toronto Argonauts
- Alouettes Announce Transactions - Montreal Alouettes
- BC Lions Announce Transactions - B.C. Lions
- Tiger-Cats Announce Transactions - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Stampeders Make Roster Moves - Calgary Stampeders
- Blue Bombers Pare Roster - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- RedBlacks Trim Roster, Set Practice Squad - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Riders Pare Roster, Stock Practice Squad - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Khari Jones Becomes Interim Head Coach of the Montreal Alouettes - Montreal Alouettes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Montreal Alouettes Stories
- Eric Deslauriers Back with the Alouettes
- Alouettes and Purolator Ask for Help from Supporters to Alleviate Hunger in the Community
- Alouettes Release Returner Stefan Logan
- Felix Faubert-Lussier Returns to the Alouettes
- Vernon Adams Jr. Named Among CFL Players of the Week