Kernels Make Series of Roster Moves Before MWL Western Division Finals in Clinton
Cedar Rapids, IA - The Cedar Rapids Kernels and Minnesota Twins announce that LHP J.T. Perez has rejoined the Kernels from Elizabethton; LHP Matt Canterino has been assigned to Elizabethton; C Kyle Schmidt has been activated from the 7-day injured list; and C/INF Chris Williams has been assigned to Fort Myers. Brian Maloney, Senior Manager of Minor League Operations, announced the moves.
Perez made 18 relief appearances for the Kernels this season, posting a 3-2 record, 3.56 ERA and one save. In 30.1 IP, he allowed 30 hits and 18 runs (12 earned) with 15 walks and 26 strikeouts. He was selected by the Twins in the 29th round of the 2018 First Year Player Draft out of the University of Cincinnati.
Canterino made five starts for the Kernels this season, posting a 1-1 record and 1.35 ERA. In 20 IP, he allowed six hits and five runs (three earned) with seven walks and 25 strikeouts. He was selected by the Twins in the second round of the 2019 First Year Player Draft out of Rice University.
Schmidt went on the injured list on August 31st. He's played in 11 games for the Kernels, batting .053 (2-38) with a double and RBI. He was selected by the Twins in the 33rd round of the 2019 First Year Player Draft out of Richmond.
Williams played in 59 games for the Kernels this season, batting .218 (41-188) with 10 HR and 30 RBI. He was selected by the Twins in the 8th round of the 2018 First Year Player Draft out of Clemson.
Perez and Schmidt are active and available for tonight's 6:30 PM playoff game at Clinton. With today's transactions, the Kernels roster remains at the MWL maximum of 25 active players, with five players currently on the injured list.
The Kernels begin the 2019 MWL Western Division Finals tonight in Clinton at 6:30 PM in a best-of-three series. Game 2 will be in Cedar Rapids at 5:05 PM on Sunday, September 8th and game 3 (if necessary) will be at 6:35 PM on Monday, September 9th.
Chris Kleinhans-Schulz and Morgan Hawk you all of the play-by-play on the radio home of Kernels baseball, 1450 KMRY AM and 93.1 KMRY FM. Fans may listen on-line at www.kmryradio.com, or www.kernels.com. Fans may also stream all 70 Kernels home game and selected road games via a MiLB.TV subscription. Visit www.milb.com for MiLB.TV subscription information.
Tickets may be purchased on-line at www.kernels.com, or by calling the Kernels Ticket Office at 896-7560. Ticket office hours are 10 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday, and 10 am to 2 pm on Saturday.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from September 7, 2019
- LumberKings Assert Themselves in Game One Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Kernels Lose 4-0 at Clinton in Game 1 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Kernels Make Series of Roster Moves Before MWL Western Division Finals in Clinton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Eliminate Captains in Game Three - Lake County Captains
- Bandits Season Ends with 4-2 Loss to Cedar Rapids - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cedar Rapids Kernels Stories
- Kernels Invited to be a Minnesota Twins Affiliate
- Kernels 2020 Season Canceled
- Nick Adenhart Scholarships Awarded to two Eastern Iowa High School Graduates
- Adenhart Scholarship Deadline Approaches
- Kernels Seeking Nominations for Third Annual Kid Heroes Recognition