Kannapolis Gets Run in 10th to Top Claws 4-3
KANNAPOLIS, NC - Craig Dedelow hit an RBI double in the bottom of the 10th to deliver a 4-3 win to Kannapolis on Saturday night at Intimidators Stadium.
Dedelow drove home Luis Curbelo, who was placed at second base to start the 10th inning per Minor League Baseball experimental rules. The BlueClaws, meanwhile, couldn't get the inherited runner home in the top of the inning, setting up Kannapolis to win the game in the bottom of the 10th.
The BlueClaws (9-7/50-35) have dropped four of their last five, including three of four on their current road trip. Kannapolis (8-8/47-36) has won five of eight against Lakewood this year.
Connor Brogdon (3-3) took the loss for Lakewood, though the run he allowed was unearned. Jonathan Hennigan preceeded Brogdon with three scoreless innings in which he struck out seven. Kannapolis reliever William Kincanon (1-1) earned the win with two scoreless innings of relief.
The BlueClaws got on the board on the fourth inning when Jhailyn Ortiz launched his eighth home run of the season over the left field wall to bring Lakewood within 3-2. It was Ortiz's 24th professional home run (he's hit eight each year) and his second of the current road trip.
In the fifth, Daniel Brito drew a leadoff walk and scored with two outs on an RBI double from Josh Stephen to tie the game at three.
Kannapolis starter Jhoan Quijada came out after allowing three runs, one earned, in six innings of work, but did not factor in the decision.
Lakewood starter Andrew Brown also got a no-decision after allowing three runs in five innings of work. The Intimidators got three quick runs for a 3-0 lead. An Anthony Villa RBI single in the first inning opened the scoring and Craig Dedelow added a two-run double in the bottom of the third.
Ortiz and Josh Stephen had two hits apiece for the BlueClaws.
The teams continue their series on Sunday at 5:05 pm. LHP David Parkinson (6-1) starts for Lakewood opposite LHP Parker Rigler (6-3).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 7, 2018
- Sotillet Shines in Complete Game Shutout - Lexington Legends
- 'Birds Blast Crawdads with Big Seventh - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Tetreault, Suns Hold Power to Two Hits in 4-2 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Vasquez Vaults a Pair of Homers in Opener - Columbia Fireflies
- Kannapolis Gets Run in 10th to Top Claws 4-3 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Czinege and Spanberger Combine for Eight Hits in Fifth Straight Win - Asheville Tourists
- RiverDogs Limit Columbia Rally to Take Series Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Tourists Slug Past Drive on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- Oneil Cruz Crushes 443-Foot Home Run in 4-2 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Game One Postponed in Rome - Augusta GreenJackets
- Rome Game Postponed - Rome Braves
- Lexington's Seuly Matias Selected to Prestigious Futures Game - Lexington Legends
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 7 vs. Charleston (Game 83) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (July 7) - West Virginia Power
- BlueClaws Take Home Phillies Monthly Minor League Awards - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Preview: Hoppers, Legends Square Off - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Legends Take Three-Game Series over Power - Lexington Legends
- Suns Fall 9-3 to Shorebirds on Friday - Hagerstown Suns
- Cruz's Walk-Off Single Lifts Power to Series Finale Win - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.