Kalamazoo Wings Dedicate Season to Ted and Martha Parfet
KALAMAZOO, MI- The Kalamazoo Wings have announced that they are dedicating the 2017-18 season to the memory of original owners Ted and Martha Parfet, the organization announced Friday morning.
The Parfets founded the Kalamazoo Wings and the then Wings Stadium in 1974, and were enthusiastic owners until the year 2000, and again from 2002-2008. Under the ownership of the Parfets, the Wings won three championships, hosted two league all-star games, saw over 200 players reach the NHL, and welcomed over 3,000,000 fans through the turnstiles.
"The legacy they brought to Kalamazoo was the opportunity for the citizens to see professional hockey up close and personal for over a 30-year period of time," Kalamazoo Wings owner Bill Johnston said. Their stewardship of professional hockey was not just felt in Kalamazoo, but also throughout the communities that were represented in the various leagues that the K-Wings played in over that period of time.
"Their consistent support was critical to sustaining those leagues, and therefore, the opportunity for people in every community that those leagues played in to see really great hockey."
The Wings will be wearing "Ted and Martha Parfet" jersey patches and helmet stickers throughout the regular season, and the ice at Wings Event Center will have a season-long in-ice logo on display, as well.
Besides being two of the greatest philanthropists in the community, they genuinely cared about the interests and well-being of their fans, players, and staff," K-Wings head coach Nick Bootland said. "One of the memories I'll cherish forever was that of handing the Colonial Cup to Ted and Martha when we won in 2006."
The Parfets are survived by four children, 10 grandchildren, and 18 great-grandchildren.
"It's funny because they would not have allowed (the dedication)," Ted and Martha's daughter, Sally Williams, laughed. We are so happy that this is dedicated to people we loved so much and the community loved so much. It gives us a feeling of great pleasure and pride."
Catch all the regular season action at Wings Event Center with tickets that start at just $10! Shop for yours today at www.kwings.com/singlegametickets .
Wings Event Center, owned and operated by Greenleaf Hospitality Group, is home to the Kalamazoo Wings professional hockey team and a full entertainment venue offering concerts, sporting events, family shows and trade shows. Built in 1974, Wings Event Center values partnerships with the community to bring events and attractions that enrich the lives of residents in the Kalamazoo area.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from September 29, 2017
- Royals Add Five with Tryout Agreements - Reading Royals
- Eagles to Hold Major Press Conference Monday - Colorado Eagles
- Nailers Announce 2017 Training Camp Schedule - Wheeling Nailers
- 'Blades Bolster Blue Line with the Addition of Gus Young - Florida Everblades
- Kalamazoo Wings Dedicate Season to Ted and Martha Parfet - Kalamazoo Wings
- Six Players Return from AHL Camps - Indy Fuel
- 'Blades Receive Several Players from AHL Charlotte - Florida Everblades
- Beast Get Donaghey from Senators - Brampton Beast
- Mallards Land Leone, Sign Patterson to PTO - Quad City Mallards
- New Name for Mallards' Home: Taxslayer Center - Quad City Mallards
- Royals HIre Sherry Metzinger as Community Engagement - Reading Royals
- Royals Agree to Terms with Forward Tyler Brown - Reading Royals
- 'Blades Add NHL Experiencewith the Addition of Brett Bulmer - Florida Everblades
- Fan Favourite Luc Olivier Blain Returns to Beast - Brampton Beast
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.