Kalamazoo and Battle Creek Split Home and Home Series
KALAMAZOO, MI - The Battle Creek Bombers take game six of the I-94 Rivalry series at Homer Stryker Field, winning 8-6. Five errors resulting in three unearned runs for the Bombers hindered the Growlers from completing a comeback win.
The Bombers were the first on the board, scoring two, after back-to-back doubles combined with a Kalamazoo error in the second inning. The Growlers struck back when Jason Sullivan and Sam Hall drew back-to-back walks with the bases loaded to tie it up at two. The final run of the inning came on a Brendan Rivoli RBI fielder's choice.
Battle Creek tied the game up on another Kalamazoo error allowing an unearned run.
In the fourth, the Bombers regained the lead with two runs on a couple of hits and another Growler error. George Mendazona hit a solo home run to cut the lead to one and a few batters later, Rivoli scored on a Sam Crail bases-loaded walk.
The Bombers broke the tie in the fifth with a solo home run from Michael Brown followed by a two-run homerun from Roman Trujillo.
The Growlers failed to complete their rally scoring one run in the final inning. Moving the Bombers to 19-0 on the year when leading after the eighth inning.
Adam Wheaton started on the hill for the Growlers going four innings, gave up five runs with only two earned. Dakota Roberts came in at relief and after giving up two home runs, was ejected bringing on Austin Laurencig. Laurencig pitched the remainder of the game throwing four scoreless innings.
Noah Reed got the save for the Bombers in the ninth only allowing the one run on a wild pitch and an error.
The Growlers look to bounce back at home tomorrow against the Fond du Lac Dock Spiders with Tommy Sommer making the start for Kalamazoo.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 11, 2018
- Kalamazoo and Battle Creek Split Home and Home Series - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Chinooks Push Past Dock Spiders 4-2 - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Rox Offense, Pitching Shines in Second Straight Win - St. Cloud Rox
- Woodchucks Sweep Homestand in Win over Bullfrogs - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Rafters Look for Sweep After Shutout of Rivets - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Kalamazoo Completes I-94 Road Sweep over Battle Creek - Battle Creek Bombers
- Big Top Baseball Announces Front Office Promotions in Green Bay and Wisconsin Rapids - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Ready to Bounce Back - Madison Mallards
- Big Top Baseball Announces Front Office Promotions in Green Bay and Wisconsin Rapids - Green Bay Booyah
- Ben Oglivie and Bernie Brewer to Appear at July 13 Mallards Game - Madison Mallards
- Duluth's Hot Bats Overpowered in Extra Innings - Duluth Huskies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.