#JrNBAWeek at the Santa Cruz Boys & Girls Club
As the Santa Cruz Warriors prepare for Opening Night at Kaiser Permanente Arena on November 9, the new coaching staff hosted a #JrNBAWeek Clinic at the Boys and Girls Club Downtown Clubhouse on Monday, October 21. The Warriors coaching staff, led by Head Coach Kris Weems, engaged with 60 youth clubhouse members that are preparing for the upcoming Boys and Girls Club basketball season.
Boys & Girls Club Athletic Director Bryon Windsor introduced the coaching staff to the youth and led them through a warm-up run across the Clubhouse court. The youth then divided into drill stations, as Coach Kris Weems and Assistant Coach James Andrisevic worked with the youth on shooting and created a competition between the two lines to see who could score the most baskets. Assistant Coach Michael Lee taught proper dribbling and showed drills that the youth can do to improve their handles at home. Assistant Coach Anthony Vereen demonstrated some off-the-ball movement patterns, specifically focusing on pick and rolls - a Warriors basketball favorite. Head Athletic Trainer Long Lam used an agility ladder to teach footwork and speed, while increasing the heart rates of the participants.
At the conclusion of the eight-minute drill stations, the coaches led a Q&A session, where the youth who answered a Santa Cruz Warriors question correctly won a signed item from current Golden State Warriors players Klay Thompson and Draymond Green. The clinic ended with a group photo and autograph session, where youth had the opportunity to get their new Jr. NBA T-shirts autographed by the coaching staff.
This Santa Cruz Warriors basketball clinic at the Boys & Girls Club was part of the fifth annual Jr. NBA Week (October 14-21, 2019), as the league and its teams engage youth ages 6-14 in various youth basketball events in their markets to foster a love of the game. Fans can follow the league's Jr. NBA Week celebration at @jrnba or on Facebook at Jr. NBA.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from October 22, 2019
- Get to Know: DaQuan Jefferies - Stockton Kings
- #JrNBAWeek at the Santa Cruz Boys & Girls Club - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Legends Announce Coaching, Basketball Operations Staff for Upcoming 10th Season - Texas Legends
- NAZ Suns to Host Sparklight Opening Night on November 9 - Northern Arizona Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Recovery Resource Center at Kaiser Permanente Arena to Reduce Hours
- Kaiser Permanente Arena to Serve as Polling Site for 2020 General Election
- Kaiser Permanente Arena to Become Recovery Resource Center for Victims Affected by the Czu Lightning Complex Fire
- Santa Cruz Warriors Awarded 2019-20 NBA G League Social Responsibility/Youth Basketball Award for Sea Dub Classics Program
- Santa Cruz Warriors Raise over $5,000 for Community Foundation Santa Cruz County COVID-19 Local Response Fund