Josef Martinez Placed on Season-Ending Injury List
ATLANTA - Atlanta United announced today that forward Josef Martinez has been placed on the Season-Ending Injury List. Martinez underwent successful surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his right knee on March 18 after suffering the injury during Atlanta's season-opening win against Nashville SC on Feb. 29.
"Josef's rehab is progressing well and is going to plan; however, it was important for us to make this move as it gives us roster relief and flexibility for the rest of the 2020 season," Atlanta United Vice President and Technical Director Carlos Bocanegra said. "We will miss his ability and leadership on the field this season, but we look forward to having him back at the start of preseason next year."
Per MLS rules, clubs receive roster relief for placing a player on the Season-Ending Injury list. Once placed on the Season-Ending Injury List, the injured player will not be eligible to play for the club in any remaining competition during that MLS season (including any exhibition games or tournaments, CONCACAF Champions League, Canadian Championship and Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup games).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 31, 2020
- Orlando City Advances to MLS Is Back Semifinals, Defeats LAFC in Penalty Shootout - Orlando City SC
- Development Academy Duo Signs with Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - Colorado Rapids
- What's Next? Head Coach Robin Fraser on the Team Mindset Moving Forward - Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United FC vs. San Jose Earthquakes Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Lions Toughest Test Yet Awaits in Quarterfinal Match - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Signs Erick "CuboÃ¢ÂÂ Torres - Atlanta United FC
- Josef Martinez Placed on Season-Ending Injury List - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.