Jonny Steele Returns to RailHawks
CARY, NC (February 24, 2011) - The Carolina RailHawks announced today they have acquired via a loan with Tampa Bay FC fan favorite Jonny Steele. As an original member of the RailHawks team that took the field in 2007, Steele immediately became a favorite among the RailHawks faithful. In 2007, Steele was a key member that helped lead the club on its historic run to the Semi-finals of the US Open Cup.
"It is exciting to welcome back Jonny to Carolina," stated RailHawks Head Coach Martin Rennie. "Jonny has been one of the top players the past few years and still has a desire to improve and I look forward to working with him. He is a dynamic, exciting player who can create scoring chances for others and score goals himself. He will be a great addition to our team."
Steele, a native of Larne, Northern Ireland, began his career with England's Wolverhampton Wanderers prior to his arrival in the United States. Following his time with the RailHawks, Steele enjoyed a successful 2008 season where he led the Puerto Rico Islanders to the regular season title and was named the league's MVP. Steele continued his dominance on the field with the Vancouver Whitecaps and Tampa Bay FC in 2010. Per Club policy, no details of player agreements are disclosed.
"I am very excited to return to the Triangle and wear orange," said Steele. "I have spoken with Martin about coming back to Carolina in previous seasons. The fans always treated me well and I am excited to be back playing in front of them and winning a championship for them."
Fans can see Jonny Steele in action on Saturday, April 9th at WakeMed Soccer Park as the Carolina RailHawks kick off the 2011 NASL season against the Puerto Rico Islanders. Steele joins former RailHawks teammate Kupono Low and Captain Brad Rusin on the club's roster for the 2011 season.
"We are thrilled to sign Jonny Steele. This should confirm to all RailHawks fans that putting an exciting team capable of winning a championship in 2011 is a priority," said RailHawks President Curt Johnson. "I can't wait to see him on the field at our opener on April 9th."
Season ticket packages are now on sale, starting as low as $49. Individual tickets for the opening match and remaining matches will go on sale March 1st. To purchase tickets and for additional ticket information call 919-859-KICK (5425) or visit www.CarolinaRailHawks.com.
• Discuss this story on the North American Soccer League message board...
North American Soccer League Stories from February 24, 2011
- Jonny Steele Returns to RailHawks - North Carolina FC
- NSC Minnesota Stars Announce Fit Studios as Strength and Conditioning Partner - Minnesota United FC
- Strikers Add Veteran Depth - Fort Lauderdale Strikers
- FC Tampa Bay Loans Midfielder Jonny Steele to Carolina RailHawks for 2011 Season - Tampa Bay Rowdies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent North Carolina FC Stories
- North Carolina FC Defeats Charlotte Independence 3-0 in Southern Derby Cup Match
- North Carolina FC Continues Southern Derby at Charlotte Independence this Saturday
- North Carolina FC to Begin Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup at Home in Second Round
- North Carolina FC Falls 2-1 to Atlanta United 2
- North Carolina FC to Face Atlanta United 2 in Road Test