Joliet Pulls Away from Boomers
JOLIET, IL - The Joliet Slammers scored in their last five at bats to pull away from the Schaumburg Boomers, presented by Wintrust Community Banks, and score a 6-3 decision in the opener of a road series on Friday night.
The first run of the game finally came across in the top of the fourth after both teams failed on plenty of early opportunities. Quincy Nieporte stayed hot by opening the fourth with a double and crossed the plate on a two out single from Chase Dawson. Joliet tied the game with a two out run in the bottom of the inning and added single marks in the fifth, sixth and seventh to grab a 4-1 lead. The Boomers battled to within 4-3 by scoring two unearned runs with two outs in the top of the eighth. Alex Polston and Jack Parenty logged RBI singles but Joliet scored twice in the bottom of the inning to regain the three-run cushion.
Payton Lobdell suffered the loss on the mound despite a quality start, allowing just two earned runs while striking out six. Parenty, the league's leader in hits, notched his 31st multi-hit performance, slashing three from the leadoff slot. Dawson added two as the Boomers finished with nine in the defeat. Schaumburg stranded 11 on base while Joliet left 13.
The Boomers (38-32) remain tied for first in the division with Lake Erie despite the defeat. The series continues at 6:05 p.m. on Saturday night when LHP Aaron Rozek (5-3, 2.83) takes the mound for Schaumburg while Joliet counters with RHP Keegan Long (2-8, 4.52). The Boomers return home on Tuesday night. Visit boomersbaseball.com for tickets and information or call 847-461-3695.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 2, 2019
- Gateway Scores Late to Knock off Bolts - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Miners Erupt Late to Down Otters - Southern Illinois Miners
- Slammers Survive Late Boomers Rally; Win 6-3 - Joliet Slammers
- Joliet Pulls Away from Boomers - Schaumburg Boomers
- Crushers leave six in scoring position in 4-3 loss - Lake Erie Crushers
- Rascals Win Thriller over Crushers - River City Rascals
- Early Hole Too Big to Climb from for Washington - Washington Wild Things
- Burdick Crushes Otters' Comeback Effort - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.